Chapter Thirty-Five: Safe.

A/N: Hi :3

so, on holidays at the moment. so i'm hoping to get a few more chapters out over the next week :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Thirty-Five: Safe.

I was under the same damn tree again. This time, there was no snow to dench the dead surroundings. The tree still looked barren and voided, stark black silhouette against the pale grey sky stuck in twilight. But the silence was still as ear piercing as before. The ground, dry and cracked seemed fragile under my feet like if I took a step it would crumble away.

This is wrong.

I shouldn't be here.

My dreams are bleeding into each other. This shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be here.

Soon there will be no difference.

Does that matter?

Yes. No...

Which is it?

What is and what was do not matter. What is reality...is only perception. Truth is false. Choice.

You are so helpful.

Sleep.

Isn't that why I'm back here again?

Silence again.

What is this place?

It's familiar but I shouldn't know this world.

But I do know it. Somehow.

The contradictions tighten in my chest with rising agitation, stopping me from taking a step closer to the dead tree.

It sleeps. Forgotten.

Whatever.

Safe.

From what?

Silence again.

"You're really pissing me off! Answer straight for fucking once!" My voice didn't echo on, like I'd expect it to in a wide open space. Instead it fell as mute noise like I was shouting at a TV screen.

This is bullshit.

No response.

Fucking typical.

Something runs passed me in my peripheral vision, I snap my gaze in the direction, only to see nothing.

I couldn't mistake her, even for a second. Anne.

Turning around full, I come face to face with a window, looking out onto the nightscape beyond. Blinking, I take a step back, seeing that I was in the living room of the holiday house in Switzerland. The warm glow from the big fireplace illuminated the room enough, giving the false feeling of warmth but I still felt nothing. Turning away from the window, I saw the stairs leading up to the bedrooms and the front door in front of it. But that was all. It felt like a dollhouse. Behind me opened up onto a familiar autumn forest, small blue wisps darting around and amongst the fire-coloured leaves. I turn back to the window. I won't go back there.

Not now.

Shut up.

Outside the window, I see Anne walking away from the house, out into the snow tainted silver by the moonlight. Gathering myself together, I run for the front door, bursting through in the hopes of catching up to her.