Chapter 8

Nawal stared at her father.

"Salman bhai?" she questioned.

"He isn't your bhai. Well not anymore when we give our consent to the marriage proposal," Ghazala finally spoke up.

Nawal glanced at her mother. Consent? They were making a decision without asking what she wanted? She knew if she pleaded her case to her mother, she would be talking to deaf ears. Instead, she turned to her father and her eyes welled up.

"Daddy you don't mean this do you?" her eyes pleaded for him to reject what he had just uttered. But instead Shabbir sighed, "My daughter we honestly think he will become a great husband."

She shook her head, "No no no. How can I marry a man who I have thought of as my brother? He is no different to me as Shahbaz bhai or bhai jaan. I .. I ..." she swallowed and her tear glistening eyes widened, "I can't. I just can't."

"Nonsense. There is no such thing as bhai. He was always your non-Mehram and you can marry him. You will change your mind once you are married to him," Ghazala harshly commented.

"No Mom. I will not." She inched closer to her father and clutched his hands, "Daddy don't this to me, please. Don't force me."

Shabbir was silent he gazed at his fuming wife then at his distraught daughter and then voiced his opinion, "No one is forcing you beti. Think over it. I will give you a week to think over it."

"What are you saying Siddique sahib? We have to give Seema an answer now." Ghazala's voice rose.

Nawal's heart thudded, silently praying that her father didn't relent as he always did when her mother forced her opinion in every decision. But instead Shabbir held up his hand to silence Ghazala, "Bas (Enough) Ghazala. I will not rush my daughter in this decision." His eyes locked with his wife, "And her decision will be the final decision."

Nawal closed her eyes in relief and tears of gratitude leaked from her eyelashes. But her eyes opened suddenly with one realization, she had to tell Daud this and then he can come with his parents and hopefully divert her parent's mind off Salman's marriage proposal. She hastily stood up and ran up the stairs to talk to him in privacy.

Ghazala clenched her jaw and turned to her husband when their daughter had disappeared, "You are putting me in an awkward position with my sister."

Shabbir picked the remote control and switched the television on, "Seema is very sensible, she will understand if Nawal rejects."

"Is that what you want? You want Nawal to reject?"

Shabbir slightly shook his head not taking off his eyes from the television, "I am hoping and praying inshaa Allah, she will not reject but if she does," his piercing gaze met his wife's, "I am not forcing her."

Ghazala stood up and pointed at her husband, "I am telling you this is a mistake. That girl has no sense. We should be making her decision. We know what is best for her. If it was up to her, she will bring a gora (white) home saying she wants to marry him."

Shabbir's grip tightened on the remote control, he said gritted his teeth, "Don't under estimate your daughter Ghazala. She is very intelligent. And I trust her."

"I will ask you the day she bring us down on our knees in shame." She then stomped out of the room.

Shabbir closed his eyes and silently pleaded his Lord,

Inshaa Allah that day will never come.

But that dua will be futile when Ghazala's statement will come true in the coming months.