Chapter 38

{Jack's POV}

            "Jack, do I really need this?" [Name] sighed as she drummed her fingers along the dashboard, her eyes covered by a black blindfold. Jack just chuckled, removing one hand from the steering wheel to pat her head.

            "I don't want you figuring out how to go through the woods, do I?" he noted, and she swatted his hand away with a slight frown.

            "I thought we established I have no where else to go. I don't really need this..."

            "Mm, yes, but it gives me a sense of comfort." Though honestly, that was a lie. A day had passed since the truth had finally been explained, and the pair were returning home to the cabin. Or so he claimed. The REAL reason he had her wearing a blindfold was so she wouldn't realize the operating room was in the cabin. The door was hidden on the wall with the bathroom, skillfully crafted and disguised. Knowing it was there would only bring bad memories, though, so he'd elected to pretend the room was elsewhere and drive around the woods for a while.

            Of course, [Name] wasn't too interested in this plan. "You know the fun part about riding in a car is watching scenery pass, right?" she sighed, leaning against the window.

            "Blind people ride in cars too and they don't complain." This remark earned a pout, making him smirk. "But fine, we're pretty close now anyway. You can take it off now."

             "Finally," she grumbled, reaching up behind her head to untie the knot and let it slide down as she turned her head to the window. Trees rolled by the window as they drove over the dirt path, giving a pretty nice view. Birdsong could be faintly heard, even with the windows rolled up, but she immediately rolled hers down to feel the fresh air. Jack glanced at her for a moment, watching as strands of her [h/l] [h/c] hair waved in front of her face in the light breeze.

            "Enjoying the ride?" he asked, facing forward once more. She nodded, still staring out the window.

            "I haven't felt fresh air in so long," she murmured. "I'm always in that stuffy bedroom... I wish I could feel the air more."

            "It's not stuffy now," he muttered under his breath. She shot him a questioning glance, but his navy mask provided a perfect poker face, hiding his smirk.

 {Readers POV}

            Just as Jack said, my room wasn't stuffy anymore.

            Plenty of fresh air could get in through the broken window.

            I stared at the window in shock, all of the glass missing. Only a mesh screen served to keep out the elements, but that wasn't saying much since I was pretty sure a light punch could break it. As I stood there Jack leaned against the door frame behind me, his arms folded and undoubtedly smirking under his mask. "See? Not so stuffy anymore, is it?"