Chapter 2: "This isn't at all what I expected."

"This isn't at all what I expected," Astryd mumbled under her breath as she sat on a tall barrel leaning against the main mast.

They were now far out at sea with no sign of Esterbell behind them. The waves rhythmically crashed into the side of the smaller than average ship, and the sun was setting over the horizon. It would seem peaceful to most aside from the hustle and bustle of the crew, but all Astryd could concentrate on was her untidy hair being tossed in her face by the fierce wind. She crossed her arms and let out a huff as she once again removed a lock of hair from her face. Kincade was nowhere to be seen since setting sail and left Astryd to fend for herself in an environment completely alien to her.

The falling sun cast long shadows over the Crescent, as that was the ship's name, and the breeze made the temperature drop significantly. Astryd shivered slightly, bringing her arms closer to her body. She could go below deck and evade the chilling wind, but she hadn't dared venture down there yet.

She knew nothing of the crew or their roles on the ship. She didn't even know her own role on the ship—if she even had one. Why would Kincade leave her here without instructions on what to do?

When Astryd stepped foot onto the Crescent for the first time, she thought she found her escape, her freedom. She thought that this was her way out of her old life. But here she was, sitting on a ship surrounded by water with nowhere to go. Once again...trapped.

Astryd clenched her teeth. "Can't depend on him," she told herself. "Better go figure out what to do myself."

She slid from her barrel and landed with a thud on the wood planks. She strode her way over to the stairs that led below decks. Astryd paused at the top of the stairs, just now noticing that she was one of the only people left up on the top deck. Everyone seemed to leave in a hurry. Below the gangplanks was the soft glow of a lantern stretching out from an unknown room, and occasionally a roar of excitement came from the room. She took a deep breath and could smell the odor of smoked meat that made her stomach grumble. She hadn't eaten all day.

Astryd let the smell guide her along the dark hall until she found herself in a room packed to the brim with sailors. Most of them were too busy with their plates of rations to talk much, but that didn't stop them from speaking with their mouths full anyway. Occasionally, a man would stand from his table and merrily shout, "I'm the man!" for reasons Astryd hadn't learned yet. Longingly, she took in another long breath of the smell of smoked food wafting from the corner of the room. She let her eyes drift in the direction of the smell to find a young man about her age standing behind a large bin stacked with beef.

Astryd hesitantly approached the boy. He smiled at her for a moment, and Astryd smiled awkwardly without saying a word.

"Ah, a newcomer!" the boy finally broke the silence. "Ya hungry?"

Astryd blinked and then managed to form the word "Yes."

The young man pulled out a plate, slapped a pile of beef on it, and handed it to Astryd. Astryd gave a thankful smile before turning back to the crowd of men.

She glanced around the room to find a place to sit. Every single table was crowded with men shouting and laughing. So many unfamiliar faces filled the room, and none of them were eager to welcome her. If Kincade didn't care to introduce her to them, why should she care to talk to them? Anger boiled up inside her as she thought of Kincade. For once, she put her trust in someone, and he leaves her to fend for herself.

Never mind, I'm better off alone, she thought to herself.

Back up the stairs she climbed and back onto her familiar barrel. The sun had set now. All that was left was a few lonely lanterns and a lone sailor taking his shift at the helm. She gobbled down a few bites of her rations only to be disappointed at the lack of spices and flavor. In reality, it was just rubbery, flavorless meat. Astryd couldn't complain though, given the circumstances.