Chapter 23

"Hey" I smiled slightly at Kathleen when she had woken up.

"Hi, wher-where am I?" Kathleen asked groggily as she looked around.

"You're at home? You're in the room that we used for doctor's visit?" I said to her going to sit on the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"My body aches" Kathleen said to me sitting up slowly in the bed. "What happened?"

"You'll probably soon be feeling a relief, Dr.Lee had given you some pain medication earlier. You passed out, we brought you home and had Dr.Lee check on you. You're okay though, just a little bruised" I told her.

"All I remembered was me being at the store. I was about to set the alarm and exit when I just saw Keith appeared at the door" Kathleen said shocked touching her bruised cheek. "He just barged in and grabbed me, my bag fell and so did my phone... He covered...my mouth before dragging me around back towards the storage room. He started hitting me and shouting at me about running away from him... He shoved me across the room and I fell...then you showed up and Dominic and... Oh my God... Keith... Is he...?

"Kathleen you don't need to worry about any of that right now okay" I said placing my hands over hers. "You just need to know that Keith is never going to bother you, ever again. You don't need to be running from him or being afraid anymore".

"He's dead" Kathleen stated nodding.

"He's no longer capable of lifting a finger on anyone anymore" I assured her.

Where is Dominic?" Kathleen asked concerned.

"He's here, I think he's gonna be glad to know you're now awake.
He was really upset seeing you like that" I said to her. "I'm sorry too Kathleen, I should have gotten there sooner and I should've just shoot him the minute I stepped in. I hesitated... I don't even know why but I'm sorry you had to undergo what he put you through. Not just tonight but back then as well".

"Its not your fault Lexi. I was the stupid one who got involved with Keith in the first place and refused to leave even when I saw signs that he wasn't up to any good. You hesitated because you are human and I know you were hoping it could end differently" Kathleen said to me. "You may not have showed up sooner but I'm thankful for when you did, you stopped him from doing any further damages to me. So thank you".

"Its no problem Kathleen, I know I just met you a few month and weeks back but I see you as family. And I'll always do what I can to protect family" I said to her.

"It means a lot to hear you say that Lexi" Kathleen said tearing up. "You've gave me a job, taken me in. You've done so much for me even though you knew nothing about me, you are my family now Lexi".

"Family doesn't have to be by blood or know each other for a very long time. I was taken into a family when I needed one and that's exactly what I did for you" I said to her.

"Oh, Lexi thank you so much" Kathleen said leaning over with her arms wide opened.

"Its no problem Kathleen" I said as I went in as well hugging her.

After a few moments of hugging I finally pulled back breaking out hug, then standing up.

"So are you hungry or would you like me to get you anything?" I asked concerned.

"Maybe just some cereal?" Kathleen asked.

"If that's what you want" I said turning to leave before stopping. "Do you have a specific choice?"

"Not really, any cereal is fine" Kathleen smiled.

"How about a variety then" I said to her. "I'm gonna let Dominic know you're awake, he probably wants to speak with you. I'll soon be back with your cereal okay?"