War Prisoner Chapter 43

Title: WAR PRISONER

.

Author: 梨花烟雨(Li Hua Yan Yu) /Lê Hoa Yên Vũ

.

Disclaimer: I own nothing; this is for yaoi fan with no finance gain. Please support the original author in the full website.

.

---
War Prisoner Chapter 43

Time flew by, and the sun was already shining brightly overhead when Su Yi began to squirm around in bed and gradually awaken. He shifted slightly, but even such a small movement made him hurt, it seemed as though there wasn't a single part of his body that did not ache, his bones in particular seemed as though they had been shattered and could no longer provide a framework for his body. As he was struggling to get up from the bed, Zi Nong came in. Bearing down on him gently, she prevented him from rising and said: "Empress Consort please rest for a while, let Zi Nong sooth and warm up your muscles and tendons before you try to get up again." She suddenly say Su Yi look up at her, with a hint of entreaty in his eyes, he said: "Miss Zi Nong, please don't address me like that. Could you please keep on calling me Young Master instead?"

Zi Nong's heart skipped a beat and she immediately understood that Su Yi was still unable to accept what had happened. With a heavy heart, she forced a smile and said: "Of course I can. You have already become our... we should carry out all your instructions faithfully. Besides, I'm used to addressing you as Young Master, after such a long time, it's also difficult for me to change the way I address you." So saying, she called over a few palace maids, together they helped him to wash up and dress. They sent for his breakfast, and after he had eaten, Zi Nong asked Su Yi: "Does Young Master have any further instructions?"

Su Yi was silent for a long time before he suddenly spoke: "I wish to go to the prison to visit... visit them." Before the sound of his voice had faded, Zi Nong said urgently: "There's nothing interesting there to see." When she saw that Su Yi was giving her a puzzled look, she hurriedly tried to calm her flustered self down and gave him a smile before turning back to straighten out the bedding and freshen the bed, saying at the same time: "Your humble servant means to say that Young Master's body is still not feeling well and even in the best of circumstances, the jail is not a nice place to be. Besides, those people should have returned to their homes by now. I distinctly heard his Majesty instruct Zi Nan to release those prisoners yesterday."

When Su Yi noticed that she looked shifty, also that her words were evasive, his heart began to fill with doubts and suspicions. He did not betray any hint of them on his face however, and he said placidly: "Is that so? Well then, please fetch a few books for me to read." At his words, a genuinely happy smile brightened Zi Nong's face and she said: "Yes, I'll do so immediately." But just when she had left, Zi Liu stepped into the room shortly after. Pausing to look around for a moment, she asked inquisitively: "Young Master, did Zi Nong not come here?"

Su Yi replied: "She just left, were you looking for her for a specific reason?" He heard her reply: "Yes, I need to get some money from her." After the words left her lips and she realised that they sounded a bit off, she quickly looked at Su Yi and hurried to clarify: "Zi Nong... Of the four of us, she's the one who is in charge of monitoring all the expenses and handling money in the palace, the Emperor's concubines take no part in these matters. But Young Master, ah, no, it should be Empress Consort... since you have become the Empress, if you wish to take charge of these matters in future, the job would be yours by right."  

When she noticed that Su Yi was looking at her with gleaming eyes, she suddenly realised that she might have said too much. Feeling guilty, she gave a dry laugh and quickly said: "About that... Empress Consort... your humble servant still has other tasks to attend to, if you have no further instructions, I will leave to tend to them."