Chapter 6: You're On Borrowed Time

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Nova

In my awe, I had barely noticed the door that was adjacent to the luxurious room Korbyn had allowed me to stay in for the evening. Yes, this room was beautiful and everything anyone could ever want, but I couldn't shake the feeling with his parting words. It felt as though I was being confined to this one room and that in a way, a prisoner to the night.

I really didn't know Korbyn, and it frightened me that he or his little sister could potentially end my life at any given time, without just cause. After all, it appeared that is why my race was killed...I see no real reason as to why we were considered not fit to roam this earth any longer. Moving out of the center of the room, I stepped out of my sneakers and placed them next to the bedroom door. Walking to the connecting door, I placed my hand on the door handle and pushed down on it, the door opening inward.

Cautiously, I stuck my head in between the small opening of the door and frame, the darkness keeping me from seeing anything. As I pushed the door open more, the light from the giant fixture seeped into the room, a strong vibrant glimmer causing my eyes to go blind momentarily.

What's this?

As the door stood open, I noticed there was a mirror on the wall, hanging just above a sink with a black top. To the right of the mirror, a very generous shower occupied the space, with enough room to fit more than my entire family in there at once.

Wow...this is incredible.

Pulling the tie that held my light brown hair away from my face, I noticed there was also a toilet against the opposite wall of the shower.

Running water? This is such an amazing place...

Walking into the center of the bathroom, I smiled to myself, it was nice not to have to go outside in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Or, my parents making sure I went before the sun went down or risk having to hold it until morning. I wondered if the shower had actual hot water, without having to boil it first with a stove.

Glancing at the wall near the shower, there was a small metal bar embedded into the wall, an ebony towel folded neatly over it. I reached my hand out and took the soft fabric between my fingers, relaxing at how gentle it felt. Everything in this mansion was a luxury, most items, my family had to do without and I was okay with that. Although, it was very nice to get a glimpse at how the vampires lived, never having to worry if they would be killed...except for the sun, which was easy for them to avoid.

I giggled at the thought. How could anything die from the sun? It's so warm and beautiful!

Before I could even think, the light that had once filled the large bathroom, had all but dwindled away, the door shutting solidly and shutting me in complete darkness. I gasped, my breathing coming short as my heart accelerated. The fear that I once had, crept into my bones and had me shaking, wrapping my arms around myself and grabbing the fabric of my hoodie.

What's going on? What's happening?

I tried to calm myself, slowly bring my arms away from my body and reaching out in front of me. It hadn't been that long, I knew where everything was stationed in the bathroom and if I could just touch something, I could find my way to the door and open it. I didn't care for the dark, as it only made me think of the monsters that hid within its shadows.