War Prisoner Chapter 65

Author: 梨花烟雨(Li Hua Yan Yu) /Lê Hoa Yên Vũ

.

Disclaimer: I own nothing; this is for yaoi fan with no finance gain. Please support the original author in the full website.

.

---
War Prisoner Chapter 65

It's him, of course it was him, and it could only be him. Su Yi could only laugh bitterly in his heart as he thought: Wanyan Xu oh Wanyan Xu, are you still unable to give up your feelings for me even now? Oh, you're the Emperor; naturally you already have to bear the heavy responsibility of looking after the country. To come all the way here during such a stormy night, what shall we do if you should be affected by the chilly weather and take ill? With all the stress you must be under, you really ought to take better care of your body. You... can't you let me feel that my debt to you is not so deep? What you're doing... only causes me to feel even more heartache. 

A large hand descended upon his forehead, brushing it gently. Wanyan Xu muttered softly to himself: "Indeed, it is a little too hot." He sighed, and saw that Su Yi's eyes were still closed although he could not tell if Su Yi was really asleep or if he were just feigning sleep to avoid himself. But then again, since the paths they had taken had brought them to this point, if Su Yi were awake and they had to face each other, perhaps the scene would be even more awkward and wretched. He had been carrying something wedged between his arm and his side, and now he unfolded it to reveal a wolf-fur quilt. Softly, he laid it out over Su Yi's body, Because of the raging winds and pouring rain, the corners were a little damp; he made sure to keep them away from Su Yi. After that, Wanyan Xu stood up and retrieved a bowl from the table. Extracting a small packet of medicine that was tucked away in the front of his robes, he poured it into the bowl. He managed to find a porcelain vessel in a corner of the room that was still half-full of cold water. He sighed, there was nothing for it, he was going to have to warm it up over a flame. He lit the brazier, and as he was warming up the water over it, he looked over to Su Yi. When he saw that Su Yi had not roused at all, he knew that Su Yi was deliberately trying to avoid him. Wanyan Xu could only silently wait for the water to boil before pouring it into the bowl of medicine and carrying it over to the head of Su Yi's bed.

He stooped down to look intently at Su Yi. At the sight of that pale and wan face, the pain he felt was akin to having his heart thrown into a vat of boiling oil. Why was it that even when the situation between them had become so untenable, he was still unable to set aside the feelings he bore for his Su Su? He might have resented him, he might even have hated him, but why was it that all these feelings immediately transformed into concern over Su Su's well-being when he saw that the weather was turning?

"Su Su, if you would just... just admit that you were wrong... as long as you will... you know that I [1] could never refuse you." He softly whispered to the "sleeping" Su Yi. Although he clearly knew that his obstinate lover could never bring himself to compromise, although he clearly knew that to say these words would only show his own uselessness and could even be considered as inviting humiliation, but he still clung to the hope that Su Yi would be moved by his deep and enduring love. Even if Su Yi would only be willing to make the smallest gesture of contrition, so that Wanyan Xu could use that as a pretence to justify reinstating Su Yi in front of the courtiers and the Empress Dowager, even if he had to shove false arguments down their throats. He refused to give up this beautiful fantasy, for its sake, he would go to any lengths, even if he would provoke Su Yi's ridicule and contempt.

His eyes were glimmering with hope, but when Su Yi's face remained impassive and totally devoid of any expression, his hopes gradually died and his eyes dimmed. Haha, perhaps he is really too persistent, so persistent that it was ludicrous. Maybe Su Yi was already doing him a favour by helping him save face just by not getting up and treating him to a display of frigid irony and scorching satire. If that was so, then he would rather believe that the person in front of him was really sound asleep because he was under the weather.