Chapter Three

"HOW noble of him to save you Margaret," Alice said. By the tone of her mother's voice, how cold and peeved it sounded, Margaret could tell her mother wished she hadn't been saved. Her chest felt heavy as she'd been right. There was no hint her mother cared, not the slightest.

"Oh, Margaret. I'm so glad you are alright," her father said. He reached out for Margaret and hugged her. Alice cleared her throat, making their hug come to a sudden end. Thomas stared ahead, at the clear night sky.

"I've invited him for dinner. Tomorrow we dine with him," Thomas said. Her father smiled approvingly while her mother rolled her eyes, although no one seemed to notice but Margaret. Thomas turned to face them. "I bid you all a good night."

"Tom?" Margaret stopped him as he turned around. "Will you walk me to my suite?"

Thomas looked at Margaret's parents for approval. Margaret's father turned to her, as though saying, whatever she says. Margaret slightly tilted her head yes. Her father nodded to Thomas. Thomas locked their arms together as Margaret wished them a good night, turning around.

When her parents were out of ear shot, and they were going up the Grand staircase, Margaret spoke.

"Did you hear what she said?" Margaret asked. Thomas stopped in the middle of the staircase, a small smile sprouting from his lips. And she too, realized what he had. This is how they used to speak. Margaret would talk about her mother and Thomas would listen. But it'd been a while since they'd spoken for more than a minute.

"She's still being tough on you, huh?" Thomas asked. Margaret rolled her eyes and continued to go up the stairs, making Thomas do the same. They walked up, turned to the right and made their way to the suites.

"She's not tough on me. She hates me. She wishes I was never born!"

"That is not the case, Maggie."

"It is too."

"What a compelling argument you make," he said. Margaret laughed and as she did, he stood still. He listened to her laugh as though it were the most precious thing in the world. The laugh had felt foreign, made her belly feel odd. "And in any case, I am happy you were born. I am happy you once more trust me."

She nodded, she was too. He paused, his lips slightly parted. "What made you change your mind so suddenly? It has been less than twenty-four hours."

Margaret sucked in her breath.....she knew the answer. And it was probably written all over her face. It was someone new. It was the promise of love. It was, nothing Thomas had done. Margaret felt his name at the tip of her tongue but did not say it. She would not even let herself think of his name.

"Is it Stefan?" Thomas asked. She said nothing. He sighed, disappointed. "I'm not a fool, Maggie. It's what you've always done. When I kissed you, when we were children, you did not speak to me for months. But one day, you knocked on my door. You were my friend once more but only because you had fallen in love. It's what's happening again, is it not? I am your friend but only because you have him."

He was right. But if Margaret told him it was true, he'd only do what he'd always done: he'd bury himself in his work. He'd forget all about the world for a few weeks. He'd stop speaking to her. And she didn't want that. She needed Thomas. Perhaps, she only needed him as a friend and Thomas wanted to be needed as something else. But this was all she could give him.

"Tom, you silly boy," Margaret said. She offered him a wide smile, trailing her hand up to his chest. Her hand stopped at his cheeks. She stroked his cheek tenderly and looked him in the eyes. This too, was part of their cycle.