Chapter 8 - Better Than Money, Better Than Machines

Two months into their training schedule the reporters arrived. Codi spotted them during the morning warm up and her blood roiled with a combination of disgust and apprehension. They ranged from soft-skinned, suited men with the eyes of hawks to glamorous over-dressed women who made her stomach turn. Her run-ins with the press during last year's competition hadn't been her finest moments. Sitting down and stretching out her legs, she looked to Ripple.

"What are they doing here?" she asked.

The other girl sighed. "Just part of the media circus. It's normal for them to show up around this time. They like to do features on the fighters and the academy. Probably helps that you're here."

"They can do that? Aren't we supposed to be...I dunno, keeping this all secret from the other academies?"

"You watch too many films," Gareth laughed, standing a few feet away rolling his neck from side to side. "Battlecast is a Tier One academy. There are a lot of sponsors who want to see us on the air; get their money's worth. Those idiots aren't allowed to go prowling round the academy on their own. The instructors usually give them a bit of a walk around the gymnasium while we're training and set up some interviews."

"Didn't even realise they ranked academies," Codi replied.

"Brax-Delta was a Tier Five. They wouldn't have even gone near you." Gareth smirked. "Welcome to the big leagues. I'd get ready – they'll definitely want to have a word with the great underdog from Kantha."

She glowered at him. "Terrific."

"Some of them are analysts," Ripple explained. "They're compiling packets on the people likely to land in the top 50 in placement. They'll visit on and off from now right up until the Gauntlet, keeping an eye on who's been cut from the team and who's looking like they might do well. It's just another part of the preseason. Try not to think about it too much."

Easy for you to say, Codi thought, but she kept further misgivings to herself. In truth a small part of her had been expecting this. Her meteoric rise from a faceless orphan kid on a backwater colony to the poster child for the most watched sporting event in human history was liable to turn a few heads. The thing was, she didn't particularly enjoy the attention.

She tried to ignore the gaggle of reporters as they stalked the training groups. Some of them were clearly new, having to be herded around by exasperated academy staff, while others seemed to know the ropes and flowed easily through the controlled mayhem. They stayed out of the way, but they were just present enough to let the Battlecast hopefuls know they were there. None-too subtle cameras trailed around with them – some hand-held, others automated floating gadgets that followed their owners like pets.

It didn't take long for Codi to realise that several of the more experienced reporters were making repeated passes over her group. She did her best not to acknowledge their prying gazes, focusing on helping Leela master a series of arm locks.

"Heads up," she heard Gareth's voice in her ear. She released her young training partner and turned to face him. Instead of elaborated he simply pointed back over her shoulder. Following the gesture, Codi felt her stomach knot when she saw Bronagh Llewellyn striding purposefully towards Group Cyan.

"Oh, hell," she muttered.

"I think it's your turn to please the cameras," Gareth chuckled. "Are you a good liar?"

"Not really."

"Then I guess just tell the truth and try not to say anything too offensive."

"No promises." Codi grimaced at the mere prospect of an interview. Sure enough, however, the head instructor came straight over to her and she had three reporters in tow. She put on a winning smile that succeeded in sending a shiver of apprehension down Codi's spine.