Chapter 6

Chapter 6

There never seems to be some perfect in between time when you're half awake and half asleep and reality seems like an imperfect dream.

There always seems to be a perfect state of being between sleep and reality. Where you can still dream, and be peaceful. This is where you don't have to worry about the troubles, or what may be waiting for you when you're up. But then your mind is woken, and the serene setting slips away. You're forced to face the cruel world that you hibernated from. Unfortunately, this time I may not wake up. I'm slipping further and further into the darkness. I'm not sure which scares me more; what's waiting for me on land, or the constricted air in my lungs that's becoming less and less by the second.

My arms and legs frail about, unable to push the cold water behind me and send me towards the surface. With bubbles floating from my mouth, I scream from my throat for help, though it comes out strangled. I can feel my eye lids get heavy and I know it won't be long before I become unconscious.

I don't know if it's the lack of oxygen in my brain but I feel somewhat relived that I'm finally away from Harry. I don't have to run from him anymore. For a moment I feel free. That is until there's another splash a few feet above me. It's hard to see in the murky water, the only source of light comes from the disoriented moon, but I knew it was the person I wanted to escape the most.

Harry's strong arms wrap around my waist, ceasing my rapid movements. He used his other limbs to kick for the surface. I tried to focus on anything other than how tight our bodies are pressed together. I don't hold on to him; my arms are hanging limp by my sides. I don't have the strength to help in any way.

I was finally tugged to the surface as we both gasp and cough for fresh air. He paddles us to the band where his shoes and jacket rest. I muster all the energy I can to push away from his chest and try to climb up the small hill onto land. The recent events have made me weak, and my arms can't push me up onto land.  Harry grips the back of my thighs to lift me further out of the water, but I am still too close to him. He wordlessly catches my hands and drapes my arms over his shoulders and around his neck. I tense when he leans forward to reach the slightly muddy earth behind me.

He's able to lift me a foot or so to sit on the ledge and I watch as he hauls himself up beside me. As he steps up onto the land, his foot slips quickly; I'm taken by surprise as I'm pushed backwards and he falls on top of me. Harry's wet─ and now muddy ─hair is in my face, but he shifts most of his weight on the forefront of his arms to see me clearly.

He deeply chuckles, "You're soaked."

The glint in his eyes tell me he's thinking of a different meaning than the one said; I groan in response. Harry is resting between my legs─ which worries me ─when I clutch his bicep and thrust him away from me, but it doesn't work.

"I'm freezing," I shudder. Harry's face turns solemn, as his head dips to the exposed skin right below my collarbone. First, he breaths warm air over the skin, then before I could be accustom to the heat, Harry puffs cool air in its place. The sensation stirs something deep inside as I find my eyes closing for the second time that night.

My chest is rising and falling at a prompt pace. Harry's lips detach from my goose bump covered skin. I see him smirking from my reaction, then winks. I mentally roll my eyes. In the second that it took for that act, Harry's lips are pressed to mine.

My eyes shoot open, but I can only see Harry's shut eyes and forehead. I don't respond though his now warm lips are trying to force me to. I'm just frozen; not allowing the exploit, but not doing anything about it. I think Harry finally gets the message when removes his lips, but leans his forehead against mine. Both of our breaths are shallow.

It's odd to me that even though it's freezing cold outside, and Harry is just as drenched as I am, he is still exuding warmth. I only know this because suddenly the warmth is gone. I watch as Harry pushes himself to a standing position over me, and offers a hand.

I'm hesitant to grab it but it's too late, Harry didn't have the patience and hauled me up harshly. I hugged myself trying to fight off the cold wind as Harry tugged on his shoes then picked up his jacket. He shook it out a few times before approaching me. I can't help my notice that his wet, white shirt clinging to his torso as Harry drapes the coat around me. It smells of him before he dove into the lake. I observe the two birds facing each other, standing out against the white material. I also note other tattoos traced up and down his arms.

"Let's go."

I'm pulled from my inspection by Harry pulling my hand, assisting me up the hill I was toppling down earlier.

***

After Harry paid for our uneaten food and bids a few goodbyes to the men I saw earlier, he leads me straight to the car. Once he opened the passenger door and I clambered in. It was only then that I noticed the mud stains among the damp clothing. My converses are ruined, and my socks are making that uncomfortable squishing feeling under my feet. I don't even want to think of how my hair looks. It'll probably take an hour to wash the sludge out.

The ride to my house was completely quiet. The only noise in the small space is the heater and the occasional passing of a car. When he finally pulls into the driveway, he spends no time exiting the van and unlocking my door. The newly found cold air pricks at my scalp, sending shivers down my back.

As Harry grasp my hand in his, I vaguely think that he's has to be touching me, making sure that I'm still there. Since I lost my house key in the lake, I have to use the spare hidden under the potted plant. I worry now that Harry knows where it is, he'll use that to his advantage. I must remember to change its place in the morning.

Once the door is unlocked, I place the key back under the plant and face Harry who is leaning against the frame of the entrance, demanding for attention. I realize that I'm still in his jacket and start removing it.

"Keep it," he stops me. "I'll get it another time."

I mutter an okay, and glance anywhere other than him. Honestly, I don't know what I'm waiting for. But Harry takes the one step it requires to be chest to chest with me. I instantly know what's to come when he take my chin between his thumb and index finger, tilting it up.

Harry's other hand gripped at the pocket of his coat, pulling me towards him. He pressed his lips just as firm and confident as back at the bank. He didn't kiss me long, seeing as I tried to turn my head away from his.

My skin is crawling when Harry's finger trails from my jaw, to my chin, the down to the base of my neck to tug the collar of the jacket.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he whispers roughly.

Harry stalks back down to his car. I don't see him leave as I turn to door, and rush inside. I make sure to lock the deadbolt, and then rotate to see the glow of the T.V from the living room, meaning Dad is still awake. I can't let him see me like this. It'll just open a can of worms that doesn't need to be revealed yet.

I try my best to make it to the stairs with him noticing, but the evident creak on the first step gives me away.

"Shay?" He calls out.

"Um─ y-yeah. I'm back," my voice cracks. If I could tell, I know my dad would notice.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I lie through my teeth. "Just tired, that's all."

"Okay. I'll see you in the morning. Good night."   

"Night." Though I know it won't be good at all.

+++++

Hello!

Vote and COmment

-A xxx