Chapter 46

SO COLD

We waited outside. Sat on the pavement, grass in between the gaps of our fingertips. The sun gazed down at us and the air was heavy, humid.

Erik Barron walked out, yelling at us to get off his front lawn. We shifted and looked at him. "Further!" Hr was red in the face, spitting, finger pointing down the street. "Before I call the cops and have you arrested for trespassing!"

Irvin raised a hand to his forehead, shading his eyes. "This is the pavement, man. You don't own this concrete under my ass. And trespassing? That's a heavy word. Call the cops. I'll laugh with them when they come."

"Go inside, Mr Barron. Your wife's dead. Console your children." I said.

"You won't get the money," he promised, voice low. He slammed the front door after him. It was quiet for a moment.

"He's an angry guy," I said. My phone rang. It was Isiah, I let it go to voicemail. He called back again and I picked up. He wouldn't be insistent unless it was urgent. "Hello?"

"Where are you?" Isiah asked in a panic.

"I'm with Irvin. What's going on?"

"Your father's called. He's furious and he's been making threats. I've called the police and they're on the way here. Stay with Irvin, I'll come around and pick you up."

"Wait," I said, straightening up. "Hold up. What did he say?"

"He's threatened to kill your grandma and myself. Your aunt Jade must've told him about your brother staying here. He's acting tough, trying to scare us into doing what he wants. I haven't said anything Seth, I don't want to worry him. But I'm concerned about you. If you see him, call the police. Don't put yourself in danger."

"I'm coming over right now," I scrambled to my feet and Irvin copied me, his eyebrows drawn down, confused. "I'll be there in a couple of hours."

"No," Isiah said sharply. "You'll stay there, I don't want you going anywhere. It's not safe. Keep your phone on. I'll call you if there's any news."

"Alright. Talk to you soon." I headed towards my Shogun. Of course I wasn't going to listen to Isiah. If my father had made threats then it would be wise to pay attention. His rage could bring about the end of the world. His aim was now on my uncle and grandma and they were in danger. Not me.

Irvin followed me, "What is happening?"

I told him and then said, "I'm going back to Oaktown. Stay here and wait for Giant. Collect the money and finish off the list. I'll text you if anything happens."

"You sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"No, I got this." I didn't need to drag him into my family mess. There wasn't anything he could do anyway except provide moral support and right now my head was clear. I wasn't panicking. I was apprehensive, sure but I wasn't totally out of my mind, imagining the worst scenario. Not yet. I said my goodbye to him and got into my car and left. I passed Giant in his SUV and we beeped horns as greetings.

I put a call to Cole, on speakerphone.

"Is everything alright?" he asked.

"I'm going to my uncle's house. It's Friday. I'll spend the weekend."

"What? Why are you going?" the background noise died out.

"My dad's threatening my family. Saying he's going to murder them if Seth doesn't go back to Jade's. Isiah's called the police. I want to be there just in case, you know? I don't think he'll do anything but then I'm putting far too much faith in his past self. He's an evil fucker."