The Hound and the Maid(Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

You understood Joffrey was cruel, but you hadn't known just how cruel he could be. Now you did as the so-called king slapped you across the face for third time in as many minutes. When he had his fill, he nodded to Meryn Trant who stepped in front of you and began hitting you over and over again. You refused to cry out, knowing that's what Joffrey wanted. Sansa Stark was standing next to Joffrey begging him to stop. You knew it was hopeless. You were merely a handmaiden and to Joffrey, you were expendable.

You cringed, waiting for the next blow that never came. You opened your eyes and saw that someone had moved in between you and Meryn Trant. "That's enough," the figured rasped out. You recognized the voice of The Hound, Sandor Clegane. He was not about to let Meryn Trant mar your pretty face anymore. It was cruel. After all, you hadn't really done anything. Joffrey instantly became enraged. "DOG! Who told you that you could stop a punishment?!" You did your best to stop the blood running from your lip. "She's just a handmaiden, Your Grace," Sansa said as calmly as she could. Joffrey scoffed and left the scene.

"Thank you," you said softly before Sandor could leave the room. He turned to you. He sighed and pulled out a handkerchief. As he dabbed the blood on your lip, you studied his face and he studied yours, discreetly. In your opinion, he probably would have been considered attractive if not for the scarred flesh. His eyes were deep pools of brown and his bearded chin made him looked even more mysterious. He took in your shiny (h/c) locks and sparkling (e/c) eyes for a moment and then, without another word, he turned and left you alone.

The next morning, you were up and in the kitchen before anyone else. You decided to serve breakfast to Sandor as a way to thank him. You quickly finished cooking and made your way down to his chambers. You raised your hand and the door swung open just as you went to knock and you ended up nearly punching Sandor in the chest. Needless to say, he was not expecting to see you. "Oh dear gods! I am so sorry!" He grunted in response before opening his mouth to rasp out, "What are ya doin' here, woman?"

"I-I, uh, brought some b-breakfast," you stuttered out, "To thank you for helping me with Joffrey." As you spoke, your voice steadied and became stronger. Sandor simply stared at you for a moment. You were being kind to him when most women would scurry away in fear. "May I?" you asked gesturing to the tray in your hands. He moved aside to let you in so you could set the food down. You turned back to him with a smile. "I'll just be going now. Good bye, Sandor."

You felt a genuine lightness in your step after that morning, that you decided to continue. Every morning, you would rise before anyone else and make breakfast for Sandor. After the first couple of weeks, he seemed to become more comfortable with you and began inviting you to stay and eat with him. At first, the two of you sat in silence. Then one morning he asked, "Y/N, why do ya call me 'Sandor'?" Your brow furrowed as you studied his usually unreadable expression. You could see the confusion and curiosity in his eyes.

"It's your name. isn't it? Clegane is so formal and The Hound is...demeaning. Does it bother you?" you asked him. He pondered for a moment. Did it bother him? No one used his name anymore, but hearing it from you made him...feel. "I... don't mind." You smiled and patted his hand. "I have to return to the kitchen. Good day, Sandor," you said before walking out. Sandor smiled to himself before quickly returning his expression to its usual scowl as he went to his post guarding Joffrey.

Throughout the day, you often found yourself gazing at Sandor. When that happened, you simply shook your head and turned back to your duties. What you didn't know was that Sandor was having the same problem. He always seemed to have you in his sights even though he was supposed to be paying attention to Joffrey. He watched as you moved around the Keep tending to your duties. The longer he watched, the more he realized that he felt something for you though he wasn't certain what.

Sandor was waiting for you the next morning, but you never appeared at his door. That wasn't like you and to be honest, it worried Sandor. He decided to search for you until he had to be at his post. His didn't have to look far. He found you curled up in the kitchen. Your knees were pulled up into your chest and your (h/c) hair was covering your face. Sandor could hear you crying. "Y/N?" You looked up and Sandor took a step back.

Your lip was split again and you had a black eye. There were bruises covering your arms. "Seven Hells! What happened to you?"he asked kneeling in front of you. You blinked back more tears and told him what had happened. Meryn Trant found you in the kitchen early that morning and decided to finish doling out Joffrey's punishment from weeks before. "I'll kill him!" Sandor declared and moved to get up. You grabbed his arm. "He's not worth it, Sandor. That will only make it worse for me." You moved to stand and hissed in pain.

Sandor put his arm around you to steady you and you yelped. "Sounds like broken ribs, lass." He picked you up bridal style and carried you from the kitchen. "Where are we going?" Sandor merely grunted and kept walking. After a few minutes, you realized that you were outside his chambers. "No one will bother you here." He looked at your face and had to steady his heart at the look you were giving. The look of utter adoration. A look he didn't think he deserved. He could have protected you and he failed.

"Stop thinking about it, Sandor. You didn't do this," you told him as if reading his mind. He set you on the bed and stood. "Sandor? Why did you come to the kitchens?" Sandor gazed down at you and wondered if he should say anything. "I was looking for ya. I wanted to ask ya something...What does it mean when I want to spend every moment with someone? When I worry about her every moment she isn't with me? When all I can think about is her?" Sandor hardly spoke this much and when he did, it was when he was drunk and angry and he was usually throwing insults or punches.

You sat up with difficulty and glanced at the man towering over you. "I think it means that you love her, Sandor." Love. Sandor had no real experience with it. Not from his mother who died when he was young, nor his father and certainly not his brother. He'd only ever known distaste from and for others and now here he was, hopelessly in love with the woman in front of him. "Hmm..." You smiled and pulled him down to sit next to you. You put your hands on his cheeks and leaned in to kiss him. It was clumsy, awkward and slightly painful due to your split lip. None of that mattered because, in that moment, you were his and he was yours.