23

I waited for Michael outside of Adonai's office for at least an hour. I wasn't just going to follow Raphael's suggestion without consulting Michael; we had come too far for me to just walk away without a fight.

Finally, I heard the door opening to reveal Michael with a look of deep concern. I started to walk towards him but he had already started in the opposite direction.

"Michael," I called out.

He turned to me slightly caught off guard by my presence.

"I thought you would be with your parents," he said as he walked back to me and kissed my temple. The gesture while small, was undeniably sweet.

"I was...but I have a question for you.."

"What is it?"

"Well, I ran into Raphael in the hall and he thinks it would be best if I went back to Chris-"

"No," he stated clearly angered by the thought, "Your place is here, with me and no one will ever question it again."

"People can question things, Michael," I said with a light smile.

"They will not question our relationship," he replied, stubborn as always.

"But you questioned it," I reminded.

"That is between us. All they need to know is we are together now and it will stay that way for eternity."

I couldn't help the rush of happiness that flooded my body. He really wanted to be with me the way we were intended. I mean, he had said that was what he wanted but to hear him say it again helped to make it more real.

"Okay," I conceded.

"Were you going to go along with it?"

I shrugged, "If you wanted me to I would have."

He shook his head absently, "No, Katrina. You did nothing wrong. This war was prophesied at the Beginning and has very little to do with you."

"I just don't want you to go to battle because of me," I admitted.

He placed his hands on either side of my face before a sad smile touched his lips, "Fighting over anything other than you is pointless, love. You didn't cause this war. Damian and I did. Please don't feel guilty."

"I can't help it," I admitted.

"I know. Did you enjoy your time with your parents?"

"I did but was it the only time I will see them again?"

"You are going to be joined to the most influential angelic being. I think I can pull a few strings for you," he said with a teasing smirk.

I genuinely smiled, "Thank you. You have no idea what that means to me."

"I will give you anything you could ever want, Katrina. You only need to ask."

I nodded lightly unable to wipe the smile from my lips.

"Come. I would like to meet your parents."

"You haven't already?" I asked, confused.

"When I found them, yes, but you haven't told them who I am to you."

I nodded in acceptance and took the hand he offered. We walked down the corridors in a comfortable silence as I took in my surroundings. I couldn't deny Heaven was beautiful but I still felt slightly uncomfortable, almost like I didn't fully belong in such a magnificent place. I hadn't earned the right to be in Heaven the way most other occupants had; I was granted access for business on part of the Underworld.

I gazed at the white marble floors that fed to white marble walls. In some places, white silk drapes lined the walls creating more texture. We passed countless thick silver doors on our way out to the place I had met my parents. I wondered if each room was occupied or if they left them open.

Michael led me around the breathtaking gardens that had Hades beat by a long shot. Everything was so pure, unscathed. I admired everything from the trees to the flowers to the gentle flowing creek.

I noticed my parents right where I left them but they didn't seem to care about waiting all that time for me to return. They were in total bliss and at that moment I knew I did the right thing by selling myself to Damian. My parents deserved this kind of happiness together and I had given it to them.

"Katrina," my mother greeted happily.

I smiled lightly at her welcoming smile. I never would have dreamed this moment would happen. I never thought Michael would want to be with me forever and I never thought my parents would be back in my life.

"Hello, Michael," my mother greeted.

"Hello, Anya," he responded politely.

"Katrina, this is the man that brought us to you," my mother informed me.

I nodded, "I know. I've known him for awhile."

"How?" My father asked curiously.

"Michael is..." I trailed off, unsure if they would understand, "He is my soul mate."

They looked confused for a minute before my father spoke up, "Moye solntse, I thought you said you work for the Underworld."

I couldn't help but love the term of endearment my father had always used for me. He started calling me his sunshine after I told him I wanted to live in the sun when I was little.

"I do. Well, at least I did," I added, "But that doesn't matter. I am his mate."

"Soul mates are predestined," Michael said, "She was mine when I was created."

"I see," my father responded, "Are you happy with him?"

I was a little surprised by how bold my father was. Michael was second only to the son of God and here my father was asking if he was treating me properly. I had to love that stubborn Russian.

"Very," I said as I glanced at Michael with a smile.

"Good. You will treat my daughter well," my father instructed.

"Of course," Michael said.

I was thankful he hadn't seemed to take offense to my father's comment. I didn't think he would but depending on his mood, he could have grown irritated.

"Katrina," I heard my name called.

I turned to see the last person Michael or my parents ever wanted to see again. I tensed when Michael's expression turned to a deep frown and my father damn near turned to rage.