Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Hailey

Sitting at the lunch table, Chase at me side, I could feel Luke's stare piercing my skull. Looking up over at him, I smiled at him and asked, "Everything okay?" 

Everyone glanced at him and he dropped the angry expression and laughed it off, "Yeah, sorry, I was just really deep in thought." 

Chase gave him a lingering questioning look before turning back to Lily who had continued to tell her story and Luke threw me a glare. Rolling my eyes, I scooted closer to Chase, who smiled and took my hand in his, held together on his leg under the table. Despite everything I knew, I didn't want him to let go. 

What was happening to me? I couldn't be feeling this about a werewolf, let alone an Alpha, especially one that I'm using as leverage to keep my secret identity exactly what it is; a secret. 

The bell rang and Chase slowly released my hand, standing up and grabbing his tray to throw away the food and I followed suit, trying to brush off the sudden empty feeling I was flooded with. 

Suddenly, Luke's words from the woods flooded in, "Chase is going to be heartbroken. Artemis is his mate, of all people." 

Curious, I decided to skip the rest of the day and I sped to the thankfully empty yellow house and ran into the basement, pushing past all of the weapons and to a large stack of dusty books and journals. Sighing, I cracked my neck before beginning to look through them, searching for anything about a "mate". I've vaguely heard of them, but with what Luke said, would that mean that mates are real? Like actual destined soulmates? 

Finally, in the fifth book I opened and flipped through, a page caught my eye. 

Soulmate : "Mate" 

A person with whom you have an immediate connection the moment you meet -- a connection so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before. As this connection develops over time, you experience a love so deep, strong and complex, that you begin to doubt that you have ever truly loved anyone prior. Your soulmate understands and connects with you in every way and on every level, which brings a sense of peace, calmness and happiness when you are around them. And when you are not around them, you are all that much more aware of the harshness of life, and how bonding with another person in this way is the most significant and satisfying thing you will experience in your lifetime.

For werewolves, mates are discovered when eye contact is made, only when both partners of the relationship are of age (17 years or older). If one partner dies once mating is completed, the other will most likely follow from literal heartbreak, madness or suicide. 

A mate is the most powerful drive and motivation to a werewolf. 

Letting out a deep breath as I finished the page, I swore. Luke had said Chase and I were mates. That meant that he is literally the only one made for me. Questions swirled around my head, dizzying me and I sat down. Would killing him kill me, as it said it would? How do you complete the "mating process"? Is there a way to get out of it? 

The most important struck me and I stared across the wall as I asked myself it, "Do I want to end it?" 

Shaking my head, I slammed the book shut. Of course I want to end it, he's an Alpha for fuck's sake! Sighing, I began to walk back upstairs, but jumped when my phone beeped. 

"Jesus Christ," I shook my head, scolding myself for being so paranoid. Pulling out my phone, I opened the text from none other than Chase. 

You okay? 

I responded saying that I was fine and I just didn't feel up for staying at school the rest of the day. 

Oh, well are we still on for tonight, then? I mean, it's okay if you don't want to... 

Telling him to not be silly and that of course we were still on, he responded with a smiley face and i sighed. Making my way up to my bathroom, stripping the sweatshirt and sweatpants from my body and peeling the bandage off of my leg. Luke's scratch was deep and still bleeding. Sighing, I cleaned it out again, despite the constant stinging and re-wrapped it. Gingerly sliding on a pair of black jeans, I threw on a red and black flannel. Pairing it with black converse, I left my hair down in curls and added a bit of dark pink lip gloss. 

Don't ask me why I felt the need to look good for him, because I don't know that myself. I suppose I could blame it on the mate bond, but deep down I knew that wasn't 100% true. 

Picking up my bag, I slung it over my shoulder and froze when I stood up to see Luke standing in front of me,  in my room, holding my red switchblade in his hand, twisting it, the blade digging into his finger. He pulled it back and licked the blood off, "Sharp. I'd be careful with this if I were you." 

"Get out of my house," I grit out and he smiled. 

"Gladly," He responded, "it reeks of silver in here. Just thought you might want this back, assuming, of course, you don't use it on Chase." He crept up behind me, and placed his lips right next to my ear, "Do keep our deal in mind, would you?" 

In a second he was gone and the window wide open, a hot breeze blowing in. Huffing, I walked over and slammed it shut, looking at the blade sitting on my dresser. My doorbell ringing, I looked in the mirror in front of me, throwing the blade in the top drawer and running down the steps, throwing the front door open, revealing Chase, a sweet smile playing at his lips, "Hey, you look... amazing." 

Smiling and blushing, I laughed, "Thanks." 

He offered me his arm, "Ready?" 

"Ready," I nodded, taking his arm and letting him lead me to his car, all the while Luke's threat floating through my mind. 

a/n: Yikes, intense. Well, Hailey now knows about mates, I guess, and she's very confused about how she feels emotionally :/ but it's date night! yay :) what do you think their date will be? 

QOTC: Do you think Hailey is going to try to hurt/kill Chase?

AOTC: I already know the answer so I'm not telling :) 

******PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR HERE!!!!!

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY NEWEST WEREWOLF STORY, DOMINANCE! I THINK YOU'LL ALL LOVE IT, AT LEAST I HOPE YOU WILL

ALL LOVE IT, AT LEAST I HOPE YOU WILL. :) thanks!!!