Chapter 22

"Alaricas, you shouldn't be standing." I sighed.

He flashed me an irritated glare, "I'm not going to lay in that damn bed for another week while my ex beta is running around."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, did I ever mention he's stubborn as hell? I ran my hand through my hair and marched over to him.

"You are going to sit down and listen to me for once!" I snapped.

He paled and immediately sat down, staring at me with wide and terrified eyes. I frowned at him, when I noticed he was nervously playing with the bed's sheet, I calmed myself down.

"I'm sorry, I just don't want you hurting yourself further." I whispered.

He continued staring at me, as if he's waiting for me to do something. I went to take the sheets away from him, but as soon as I moved he flinched. I couldn't even move as he quickly sprinted from the bed and pressed himself against the wall.

"I won't do it again, I promise!" He rushed out, his voice shaking with fear.

I frowned, "Hey, I'm not gonna hurt you."

I took a slow step forward, but he still ran from me. I had no idea what to do; I mean, I still flinch and protect myself when someone raises their hand, but I've never done this. What the hell happened to him?

I can't even decide if this is from Jefferson torturing him or what, I'm assuming were his parents, did to him in the past.

Instead of moving again, I just stared at him with sorrow. I rather the annoyingly stubborn Alaricas than this Alaricas. He looks like a frightened little boy when he's like this. And I have absolutely no idea how to help him.

"Alaricas, you're not trouble. Just...please, trust me. I'm trusting you not to hit me, so, I need you to trust me not to hit you as well."

I took a step forward, he just watched me with alert eyes. Another step. He started to shake a little. I continued taking slow steps until I was standing in front of him and gently cupping his cheek.

It took a few seconds for him to relax, but he eventually did. I smiled softly at him.

"I will never hurt you." I whispered.

He studied me for a few seconds before swallowing and gently cupping my face.  He furrowed his eyebrows, it's almost as if he's confused.

"How come my touch doesn't disgust you?" He asked softly.

I frowned, "Because it doesn't. Why would it?"

"Because my touch is what hurt you in the past."

He quickly withdrew his hand and slowly walked back over to the bed. He almost fell as his legs gave out, but managed to catch himself and sit.

It broke my heart to see him like this, he was such a strong man. My god, he was attacked by a hunter and stabbed in the chest, but he had still carried me back to the packhouse.

"Aren't you injured?" I asked as I stared at the dagger in his chest.

He chuckled, "You can clearly see the dagger, can't you?"

"Well, I'm just confused as to how you're carrying me?"

"Well, you're not heavy."

"No, it's just..."

He chuckled again, "I'm stronger than you think, Jolene. Nothing can break me."

I sighed and walked over to him, "Remember when you told me nothing can break you?"

He nodded slowly.

"Well, this did break you-

"Why are you telling me this?"

-and I'm going to fix you." I finished, ignoring his question.

He shook his head, "I'm not broken."

"Alaricas, yes, you are."

"No, I'm just...scarred. Mentally and physically...unfortunately."

"Well, the scars make you look hotter."

My eyes widened as I said that, he raised an eyebrow and chuckled at me. I swallowed and rubbed the back of my neck.

"I-I mean...the scars don't...uh...make you less...attractive."

We sat there in silence before a small smile appeared on his face.

"If it makes you feel any better...your scars just make you even more breathtaking." He whispered.

I looked up, he gently stroked my cheek. He studied me for a moment, for some reason, I wanted to kiss him. I wanted to kiss him so bad, but I was afraid. Afraid of him hitting me.

He just planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

"And I'm going to fix you too."

A/N: Alright...so...

I have it as Jolene isn't as scarred as Alaricas. I mean, she now knows it wasn't him who hurt her but the curse.

Yet, she's still slightly afraid of him. She still has some trauma from their past.

As for Alaricas, he's now reverting back to when his parents abused him. And having a lot of self hate for hurting Jolene.

So...uh...

How long do you think his PTSD should last? And her's?

I was thinking Jolene's would last for a few chapters and then she would slowly start to get better.

I just don't want to go wrong with this.

I don't know much about abuse, as you can tell.

Does it depend on the person?