Chapter 18: Flashbacks

(A/N: I decided we'd take a blast in the past on Elijah and Raine's lives. This way you can get a look on how things were far before they met each other. The flashbacks take place on the same day, but are 2 people's view points on it. I hope this helps you all understand Raine's fear of sex before marriage. Also why Elijah got so nervous/worried when seeing the cut on Raine's stomach, and reactin the way he did.)

Raine McGuire's Flashback To 10 Years Old:

I sat at my desk writing scriptures from of the board as the nuns walked around ruthlessly, gripping the rulers in their hands so tightly that their hands were turning purple. I didn't understand why my parent's wanted me in a catholic school when we were christian, but my dad convinced my mom it would keep me disciplined. I looked up at the board and coughed, there was no bless you. A ruler came baring down onto my hand making me yank it back and drop my pencil, the ruler smacked my other hand making me gasp and pull backing pain.

"This disrupting is unacceptable. Pick up your pencil and get back to work Ms. McGuire, we don't appreciate class clowns around here." The nun frowned. I scuttled to the ground and picked up the pencil ignoring the bruises developing on my hands. I shouldn't have dropped the pencil, I should've choked back the cough. 

"I'm apologize for my misbehavior sister, it won't happened again." I whispered in a raspy voice before sitting down, as she nodded in acknowledgement. I looked across the row of desk and catholic uniforms to Sunny. Her eyes red as the rest of her body stayed stayed pale and unmoved, she stared straight ahead at the board quietly. The bell sounded and she didn't move, the nuns released us by rows and we walked out single filed like instructed. 

"Sunny are you alright?" I asked as we headed outside. The sun reflected blindingly off her blond curls and her blue eyes shined in the day light. The outside world caused her skin to glow a way it didn't do when we were locked up in the classrooms all day.

"I'm fine Raine, why do you ask? Is everything alright with you?" She asked her face seeming as loving and caring as it always was. I nodded at my best friend and watched as her gorgeous smiled spread across her face, and excitement filled her eyes.

"I'm okay you just looked a bit... reclusive in class." I admitted touching her shoulder.

"I apologize for my isolation, I was just deep in thought. That's my mother's car there." She smiled hugging me tightly before puling away and taking my hair from behind my ear and placing it over my shoulder. "I'll see you at Sunday school. Maybe my mother will even let me come over to play for a while afterwards. Love you Raindrop!"

"Love you too Sunshine, I'll see you at church!" I smiled and watched as my best friend climbed into her mother mini van, and when I turned around I smiled to see my 11 year old brother Leviticus playing soccer with his friends on the front lawn. It was only allowed in some cases, ones in which the nuns were too busy t notice and therefore you wouldn't recieve a paddling for it. I walked over to him and grabbed his arm causing him to stop the ball with his foot and kick it up into the air before grabbing it with his hands. He wanted to be a soccer star and my father certainly pushed him enough to pursue it, afterall it was a dream my father hadn't gotten to accomplish himself.

"What's wrong Rainbow? Is mom here already, I thought she had to get groceries first." He frowned puzzled. I shook my hand indicating that nothing was wrong before I snatched the soccer ball from his hands and threw it to the grass before joining the game. When my mother pulled up we bid everyone adieu and climbed into the van.

"Raine may I ask what you were doing playing soccer with those young men? Especially in a skirt, you know how that looks and you gone and scratched up your Mary Janes. I'll have to tell your father about this." My mother pouted. I looked up at her in horror, I didn't want my daddy to get the belt.