Without Each Other

Tony was working in his lab, trying to focus on plans for a new set of Iron Man suits. Even though he had blew up his suits for Pepper a few months ago in December, he knew the world still need Iron Man. And since his sister was no longer helping to protect the world, he couldn't step down now. He was going to help the world, continuing the good work his younger sister was doing. Tony set down his tools, covering his face with his hands. He'd be lying if he said that he didn't miss her. He missed his annoying little sister.

Clara had died too young. She had her whole life infront of her, especially since she was pregnant and Steve was planning to propose. His little sister was supposed to get married and raise her kid with the Captain. Even though Tony didn't really like Steve, Clara loved him and that was good enough for the billionaire. Hell, he wouldn't mind having a blonde haired niece or nephew running around him (he'd hope that kids would've had their mother's personality). He'd spoil the hell out of that kid, but he would never get the chance to do so. That was ripped away from him when his sister fell through the floor.

Tony ran a hand through his hair, letting out a shaky sigh. He would give anything for his sister to come back. It was supposed to be the two of them against the world, like it used to be. Just Clara and Tony, the last two Starks left. The two of them kicking ass and taking them. The two of them battling through life. The two of them saving people. The two of them making the most of their life. The two of them being heroes.

Now it was just Tony left. Just Anthony Edward Stark and Stark Industries. His parents and his sister gone. He still had Pepper, but as much as he loved and cared about Pepper, he didn't love her as much as he loved his sister. He might as well be alone because nothing was going to fill the hole that Clara left behind. That hole was too big, too wide. Clara was his other half. She was the best part of him. She was his little sister. No one could ever replace her. Clara Juliette Stark was one of a kind.

The siblings weren't perfect, Tony knew that. They were horribly flawed and we're tearing at the ends, but they were still a masterpiece. They were the broken siblings. Tony was an alcoholic and a playboy. Clara was an alcoholic, depressed and suicidal. After their parents had died, Tony had left Clara to grieve alone. Tony completely severed their relationship and Clara hated him for that. She would have grown as cold as the ice she controlled if Peggy wouldn't have raised her. Peggy was the one who had introduced the younger Stark to SHIELD. If it wasn't for Peggy, Clara wouldn't have became an agent.

But if it wasn't for Clara getting kidnapped by Jace and Tony getting kidnapped in the desert as well, they wouldn't have mended their relationship. Tony knew that was the reason why his sister and him and rebuilt their relationship. They rebuilt their relationship stronger than ever and they had an unbreakable bond. It was even better than the bond they had before the car crash. The bond wouldn't be broken until Tony called Clara to come help him in Malibu. It wouldn't be broken until the Mandarin had bombed the mansion. It wouldn't be broken until Clara fell through that hole and into the Pacific Ocean.

And in that moment, Tony was back in Malibu on that day. Clara is yelling at Maya over the noise of buliding falling apart as bombs explode. Tony is looking at his sister as she turns to look at him. She's illuminated in orange and yellow light coming off from a nearby explosion. There's bright red dripping down the slide of her face. Clara's short hair is being blown backward as she flies towards him, trying to save him. He watches helplessly as a large piece of rubble hits her and she slides into the hole, her bright blue eyes on his brown ones.

Tony's eyes shoot open and he's breathing heavily. He's gripping the edges of table he was working at. His eyes look around. He is back at the new tower in New York. He isn't in Malibu anymore. Malibu was more than a year ago. Clara had been dead for more than a year. He quickly wipes away a few fallen tears. His last memory of his sister was her looking at him with wide, scared blue eyes as she fell through the floor.

He pushed that memory out of his head, but allowed another memory of his sister to appear. Tony was back in the mansion they lived in with their parents. He watched as a very young Clara look up at her older brother. She must've been only two years old as she wobbled over to him, her hands out stretched. He heard her laughing and her voice calling out "Ony! Ony!". Tony laughed as he heard her. The younger version of him picked up Clara, spinning her around as she squealed, still crying out "Ony! Ony! Ony!". Her small blue eyes looking up at him.

"We're fucked without each other, aren't we?" Tony asked, his voice soft. He put his head in his hands, "Completely and utterly fucked."