Chapter Seventeen

"You want to talk about it yet?" asks Elliot for the millionth time.  He stands at the refrigerated section of our local grocery store, examining two cans of energy drinks.

            "No."  I pluck one of the cans from his fingers and toss it into our basket.

            "Can't you just tell me what she said?"

            "Fine," I say.  "I told her about us; she got pissed and slapped me.  Then, she took the car and left.  That's it."

            "What do you mean she slapped you?" asks Elliot, spinning on his heel.  His eyes flash with rage; and even though I know it isn't directed at me, I can't help but recoil. 

            "This is why I didn't want to tell you.  I knew you'd get mad."  I turn away from his glare and walk into the nearest aisle.

            "Of course I'm mad.  Does it hurt?"  He gently turns me around to face him.  His jaw ticks as he runs his fingers over both cheekbones.

            "It was two days ago Elliot.  It didn't even bruise." 

            He opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.

            "Elliot, I'm fine, okay?  She's just really upset."

            "That doesn't make it okay."  He stares at me for a long moment before finally sighing.  "Have you talked to her since?"

            "Are you joking?" I ask, holding back a sarcastic laugh.  "She'd probably kill me if I tried."

            Elliot drops two cans of silly string into my basket.  I don't really want to arm two teenage boys with silly string before an hour-long bus ride, but I don't care enough to put them back.  We've already been here for forty minutes, trying to pick out good presents for our swim buddies.  To be honest, I think I prefer choosing the bare minimum: protein bar, Gatorade, and candy. 

            We stay for another ten minutes, which is when our actual shopping comes into play.  For Alex, I get the can of silly string, a deck of cards, and a strip of washable arm tattoos.  It all seems kind of stupid to me.  Still, it's better than Elliot's combination of silly string, a Dora the Explorer lunch box, and a mouth guard.  I'm not sure what Tom would want with any of those things, but at least Elliot's creative, I guess.

            "You ready to go?" asks Elliot, his lips brushing against the back of my neck.

            My cheeks ignite with heat, so much so that I am too embarrassed to turn around.  Instead, I continue staring at the shelf before me as I shakily answer, "Uh, yeah."

            I hear Elliot chuckle, which most likely means he knows how flustered I am.  Before I can respond, he grabs my elbow and steers me back to the store's register lines.  I notice the perky cashier checking Elliot out, but it doesn't really bother me.  Maybe it's because Elliot isn't paying her any attention, or maybe it's because he's about to take me out on our first real date.  Either way, I cheerily smile at the cashier as we leave, even after she sends me a bewildered glance, as though she doesn't understand why Elliot is holding my hand.

            When we get to the car, Elliot suddenly stops and presses me against the passenger door.  His lips are on mine before I know what's happening.  It seems strange to kiss him in public.  Until now, we've only kissed in private.  I always hate when couples are making out for the whole world to see, but right now, I don't care who's watching.  With my eyes closed, it feels like we're the only two people here.  My insides tingle and my hands desperately pull at Elliot's shoulders, even though he couldn't possibly get any closer.