Chapter 41

(A/N: I think a good song to listen to during this chapter would be 'Let Her Go' by Passenger. Anyways, enjoy)

-Flashback; Michael's P.O.V.-

I ran my hands through my hair, pacing around my old room in my mom's house. What the hell am I supposed to do? Do I call her again, or will her mom just figure out? I took out my phone and left my thumb hovering over it. Dammit, I don't know what to do.

I plopped down on my bed. It's been 6 days since I've attempted to make contact with her. She hasn't really tried with me either. I don't understand how we're supposed to just leave each other this way. It can't happen.

I walked towards the mirror and took in my own appearance. My hair stuck up in different places and my eyes had bags under them. How the hell did this end up happening? I shook my head and stood there for a while, until there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"What is it?" I mumbled, crossing the room to open it. I saw my mom standing there, frowning at me.

"Are you okay Michael?"

"Yes, leave me alone" I replied, trying to turn back around. She grabbed my arm.

"You can't just give up on her, sweetie" she said, rubbing my arm. I scowled.

"Give up? I didn't give up..I'm just done, okay?"

"Michael, that's giving up" she replied. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay, just tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do." I sat down on my bed and put my head in my hands. She walked over to where I sat.

"Well," my mom started. "Do you still love her?"

"Unfortunately" I replied, causing my mom to chuckle.

"It's tough, honey. I know it is. I think you should just keep your head up and try to move on."

"I don't wanna move on" I replied, scratching the back of my neck. I've never had a heart to heart conversation with my mom so this is making me feel really uncomfortable.

"Then why won't you just call her again?"

"Because..mom, I don't fucking deserve her" I replied.

"Language, Michael" she said.

"I don't care" I replied. She sighed.

"What makes you think you don't deserve her?"

"What is this, therapy?" I asked.

"Fine, don't solve your problems then." She began to stand up.

"Okay, mom" I grumbled. "Just come on."

She sat back down.

"Okay, I don't deserve her because I mess up so much with her. She needs someone who's just like her, someone who would never hurt her..and I'm not like her, and I've hurt her multiple times. I don't understand why she kept coming back. I don't deserve her, mom." I sighed.

"Honey, she kept coming back because she loves you."

"Yeah, well we just can't keep running in circles."

She put a hand on my back and rubbed circles on it to comfort me.

"Then maybe you should let her go."

I bit down on my lip to keep from crying. Since when did I become all sappy and emotional and shit?

"Fine, I'll do that" I replied, clenching my jaw.

"Well, I'll be downstairs making dinner if you need me" she said, patting me on the back. I watched as she left.

I lay back on my bed and turned the lamp off so the room was completely dark. Why the hell did I have to fall in love?

-

"Where are you going Michael? It's two in the morning?" My mom asked, wiping her eyes and leaning against the wall.

"Um, I'm just going out. Love you" I said, kissing her on the forehead. She narrowed her eyes.

"Don't do something stupid. Love you too." She turned around and walked away.

I knelt down and slid my black converse on. I opened the door and walked out, shoving my hands into my pockets. I'm just going for a walk to clear my head. I don't know what to do about anything right now, and I just need time to think it all through. I stepped onto the sidewalk and walked up the my street, feeling like the only one awake. The atmosphere scared me a little bit.

I want to be with her; more than anything. But I just can't. We're not good for each other.

Still, she's the only girl I've ever fallen in love with and there's this part of me that makes me feel as though I can't live without her. Thinking about everything we've been through just stabs me in the chest.

Fuck. Why does she always manage to cloud my mind?

I walked alongside the nearly empty streets. Only a few cars would drive by. But this is Los Angeles, so a few to me is probably the normal amount for a small town.

The walking started to give me a headache for some reason, so I decided I would just sit down on a bench. I plopped down on the nearest one and tapped my feet softly against the ground. I watched as a group of girls began to walk by, dressed like sluts. I scowled and looked away as they got closer to me. They stopped when they were a few feet away from me. I looked over at them and they were staring at me, whispering to each other.

"Can I help you?" I snapped.

They laughed and one of them said, "We just think you look badass."

"Okay, and?" I replied impatiently.

"Um, we think it's cute."

I sighed. What the hell do they even want?

One of them walked up to me and sat down.

"Okay, what's wrong?" She asked.

"Why would I tell you?"

"I don't know. It seems like something's bothering you." She looked back at her friends then to me. "Come on, let's just walk a little bit."

I rolled my eyes but found myself standing up and walking with her anyways. We walked around the corner of the sidewalk.

"It's a girl, isn't it?"

"Maybe" I mumbled.

"I can make you forget about her" she said seductively, turning to face me. She ran a hand down my chest and smirked, pressing her lips to mine. For some reason, I didn't pull apart.

But then I realized that nothing I do with a girl will ever feel right if they aren't Ashley.