Chapter 3

Frank's plan is going perfectly, at least he thinks it is. He can see Gerard get pissed whenever Pedicone comes to pick him up from work, can see the heat rise to his face whenever Frank gives him a sly wink, can see practically see it in Gerard's eyes, but he doesn't say anything. Gerard has to make the first move, not Frank. Of course, it doesn't pass through Frank's mind that Gerard is a better person than to criticize someone else's relationship, let alone tell one of the two people that he might be in love with them.

Frank doesn't realize that Pedicone's got anger problems. He thinks that he's just protective, is all, but Frank can't see the way he gets angry or upset over the smallest things. Doesn't see the way Pedicone glares at anyone that so much as makes eye contact with himself or Frank. Frank is just that oblivious to everything.

Gerard, though, notices it. That Pedicone makes sure to glare extra hard and extra long at him over Frank's shoulder when he hugs him after he's picked him up from work. Gerard notices that Frank is so obviously trying to get his attention, but Gerard doesn't know what to do. If Frank is in a relationship, then Frank is in a relationship and totally and completely off-limits. Though, Gerard muses, it wasn't like I had much of a chance before. t

Frank wants Ray to at least understand, but of course he doesn't. Ray just points out all the flaws in Frank's plan and says he, "Needs to dump Pedicone and just ask the artist dude from the corner of the store the fuck out before they both snap and have a disgustingly spit-filled make-out session over the counter." Frank waves him off and tries to explain to Matt. Matt doesn't pay him any mind. He's too busy with wedding plans for his brother and future sister-in-law.

So, Frank decides to tell Mikey. That's only person he's got left to tell, really. Mikey's only a year or two older than him, but if age was measured in your mentality Mikey would be one of those mythical three hundred year old monks that live off of sunlight and purity or whatever. He's wise beyond his years, basically.

Ray also won't admit it, but Mikey's really hot. Not in the usual tan muscles and shaggy blonde hair, but in the lanky, awkward, slightly nerdy way, that Ray finds really adorable, deep down. Ray likes to think that Mikey's more of an honorary younger brother, but then Frank would peg him for honorary incestuous thoughts if that was the case.

Needless to say, everyone liked Mikey, and Mikey liked helping his friends out, so Frank spills everything to Mikey. Everything. So, Mikey, being Mikey, tells him that he needs to play up his act, maybe make some suggestive comments if he ever goes to wipe down the guy's table, wink a bit, maybe brush their hands together on 'accident'. And make it seem like Frank doesn't really care that Pedicone's there, be kind of distracted, that sort of thing.

"It'll work! I swear it will, Frank!" Frank thinks for a few moments and then it clicks.

"That's what you've been doing to Toro!" and Frank can practically hear the blush that tints Mikey's cheeks through the phone. The older boy stutters out a response along the lines of:

"I mean, I don't... Frank it's just, no! N-nothing like that!" Frank just laughs.

"So why don't you ask him out? You know he really likes you, right?" Mikey's blush probably deepens.

"He... he does?" Frank laughs again.

"Maybe... you should ask him and find out?" he hears a door open and close on Mikey's end of the line.

"My brother's home. Hey, I'll call you back, alright? I don't wanna miss out on the next installment of, 'The Cute Girl That Works At The Coffee Shoppe Named Frannie.' Talk to you tomorrow. And let me know if my plan works eventually! 'Kay bye!" He hangs up and Frank repeats Mikey's evil plan in his head. So... he'd have to make Pedicone pretty much want to break up with him, then he-Frank-, would break up with Pedicone, go to Starbucks and ask Gerard out.

Step Three: Execute Mikey's Master Plan.