The Tree

He spotted them first and pulled me down so that we were both squatting on the ground.

He didn't say anything, he just pointed through the trees. After a second, I saw movement.

Luckily it wasn't directed at us, it was more akin to someone going about everyday chores.

Peter peered over the foliage we were hiding behind and waved his hand for me to follow.

He made his way over to the tree and pointed up. The limbs were thickly bristled and close together, easy to hide inside.

He slipped in as close to the trunk as he could and began scaling the tree. I went to follow but my backpack knocked against a branch, causing it to rustle loudly.

We both froze. Peter, who was a few feet up at this point, looked towards camp and then flashed me a thumbs up.

I continued up behind him, doing my best not to shake the tree.

When we got to the point where the tree started to get a bit flimsy so we stopped.

Looking through the branches I realized exactly how close we were to the camp. It was maybe forty feet from where we sat.

The camp was comprised of mostly tents, an outhouse, and a few structures that were just generic sheds. In the center was what looked like a fire pit full of some kind of mystery rubble.

"That's where they keep the boys," he whispered to me, pointing to the shed furthest to the right, "It's only locked with a nail, so you'll be able to get it."

"I'll be getting in?"

"Yes, someone has to distract them."

"Yeah, I guess," I said, watching as one of the women threw a match or two into the fire pit. I realized, watched them all mill about, there were very particular characteristics amongst the groups. All the Elders were indeed female, and the youngest was maybe in her mid-thirties at best. The part that surprised me was that the only boys I could see were the Lottes. Peter had made it sound like there were at least a few more.

"I thought you said there were other boys here?" I whispered.

He only nodded his head, teeth grinding together as he did.

We continued to watch as the boys cut up food or hauled things from one place to another, loomed over constantly by an elder.

And in the center of it all was the familiar man, who hadn't even bothered washing the blood out of his hair. He lounged in a lawn chair with a book in his lap.

I looked to Peter, expecting to see the combo of worry and sadness I'd expect in a situation like this, but instead his face was cold, calculating. His eyes flitting from one place to another, planning something in his head.

The sun was nearly concealed behind the horizon line when he broke the silence, "Bo you've got to promise me something. Actually, you've got to promise me a few things."

I shifted a bit in the awkward way we'd positioned ourselves amongst the branches, mostly to avoid touching, "What's that?"

"When you get the boys you need to run as fast as you can until you get home. And you can't tell the cops or anybody about this place."

My stomach twisted. He'd confirmed the thing I'd been telling myself couldn't be true, "You're not coming with us."

"No."

"Why not? And why can't I call the police?" My voice broke above the designated whisper and he flinched, eyes immediately darting back to the camp.