• a l o n e

"Fascinating! An alchemy lab hidden in a small palace! When you called me to this job, I thought it'd be another tedious work, but I must say that I was wrong!"

At least someone's having fun. Hopkins leafed through a book without really looking at the pages. Everything there smelled like dust, wax candle and fire. "Do my ears deceive me, or you just admitted you were... Clark, come here."

A small arrow rudely carved on the stone wall called Hopkins attention. He touched the symbol with his fingertips. When Clark saw where Hopkins were pointing, she turned a book to him. The same arrow symbol was there, copied many times, forming a strange seal on the yellow-ish page.

"Look what's written here: 'above God, below Men.' Oh, shit," she said, her voice cracking a little. Hopkins furrowed his eyebrows, but Clark smiled, the book still opened on her hands. "It's a symbolical reference. An allegory, Hopkins."

"Above God," he repeated, instinctively looking up. The same seal was carved on the stone ceiling, hidden by floral motifs, "below Men."

It was so obvious that he felt a little dumb. Hopkins laughed when his eyes caught a stone table, similar to a square ancient coffin, in the middle of the lab, right under the seal on the ceiling. "You're kidding me!" he exclaimed. Clark knitted her eyebrows when Hopkins shoved the papers, scrolls and books that were on the table to the ground. The seal was carved on the top of the table. "Come on, help me push this."

Moving the stone lid of that stone coffin-slash-table was a fucking nightmare. Hopkins were sweating when they opened the lid just enough to see what was inside. Three amethyst necklaces were resting beneath dust, bones and books. Clark pull the three necklaces and examined each jewel with a jeweler's loupe.

"Two are fake and has the same coordinates, but this one," she said, smiling. "This is what we're—"

She couldn't finish. Male voices, shouting from afar, filled the small lab. Hopkins opened the little broken window and saw, on the messy lawn, Richard Holt's figure, followed by Charlie Barlow and armed thugs wearing armor. He puckered his lips and looked at Clark.

"We're not alone anymore, sweetie."