Chapter 27 - Acceptance

"So," Will mutters after a while of tense silence between us in the kitchen, preparing breakfast together. "Nora and you... for how long have you known each other?"

"Nora and I?" I ask back, surprised that he'd inquire about that and with such serious expression instead of his usual teasing one. "Hmm almost all our lives. I mean, since I moved here with my parents."

"No wonder you're best friends," he comments next, too focused on setting the table properly. "You're really close."

"Well, she's the only real friend I have. It's not like I'm asocial and can't make more friends, but I don't trust people easily. Since I was young, kids approached me because I had a big house, the best toys and such. Even parents told their kids to befriend me out of convenience, so I knew they weren't being honest," I tell him, finding easy to share with him such things instead of just battling with the tension and anxiety between us.

"That must've been sad."

I shrug, still helping to set the table. "I guess, not sure. Having Nora always helped me not to mind the other kids. I played with them and had fun, but at the end of the day I always knew I only had Nora."

I look up and meet his eyes that watch me so carefully.

"When you grow up like me, knowing one day such big company will be under your care, you learn that everyone is a potential foe. Your misery is someone else's gain, so you can't expose your back for them to stab you. You ought to be careful of everyone. Having someone you fully trust is such a blessing and when you find someone, you can never let them go."

"That's Nora to you," he guesses and I nod my head, smiling.

"She's that person who puts me first and will always hold my hand when times are rough. We have each other and if I hadn't had her when my father passed away, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it through."

"What kind of man was your father?" he asks next and I can't battle my own smile.

"He was the best. Sure, he had his flaws but they were heavily outweighed by his virtues from my point of view. He loved me the best and always wanted me to be happy, but he always kept me with my feet on the ground, reminding me that what we had was his hard work. Once, he had nothing and because he never gave up he could now give me everything." My chest feels tight and my heart heavy at the memories, because even if I'm okay, that doesn't mean I don't miss him. "He always worked hard and was honest, because success means nothing if you don't earn it fairly. That's what he always told me. He always showed me his love and how important I was for him. He taught me everything he knew, saying he believed I was the only one who could look after what he created."

"Sounds like a good man, indeed," he agrees and his smile is honest.

"He was. I miss him a lot and it's such a shame he left me so soon... his leave means a hole in my chest that'll never be whole again." I look up at him, his eyes look troubled and I remember that he doesn't have parents, they gave him up and he is an orphan like every other kid in the Dream House. He lost parents he never even got to met. That breaks my heart for him

"What about your mum?" he asks then, and I can notice the inflection in his voice is different, as if the words were hard for him to utter.

"After the divorce we grew distant. I saw her once a year and we talk occasionally, but I guess she chose her own happiness away from us. I understand her and don't blame her, don't get me wrong, I mean if you don't look after yourself who else will? Still, she made a choice that put an ocean between us, literally, so it's no surprise we're not close."