twenty eight

here's a crappy update and a lot is going to happen in this chapter including a time skip.

"hospitals are the worst place to be, huh?" a man next to me asks.

i turn my head to face him. he doesn't look super old or young, but he's definitely a few years older than i am. icy eyes that hard to miss and a comb over that looks extremely hot to me.

"yeah." i press my lips together, trying not to let a blush take over me.

"do you mind if i ask why you're here? you look completely healthy." he flashes me a smile and the row of super straight teeth almost blind me.

i shrug, "my dads here." i sigh.

he frowns, "so is my mom."

"why aren't you by her side?" i ask, starting to become nosy, but he started this interrogation.

"she's in surgery right now." he answers. "i'm jake."

"nova."

he nods and i slouch back in my chair, just waiting for a nurse to come and get me so i can see my father. a little boy comes running up to jake and i'm taken aback.

"dad!"

"hey, buddy." jake laughs, lifting him up onto his lap.

a model-like lady comes strutting in afterward, rolling her eyes at jake in a bratty way. as if she wasn't happy seeing him. she pulls out a wad of cash and hands it to him.

"you have him for the rest of the week." she smacks his gum.

"sounds good." jake replies, ignoring the money.

she scoffs, shoving back into her prada purse. then, she pivots her feet and exits the hospital. the little boy stares at me in fascination with his big eyes that are a light blue shade like jake's.

"i know we just met, nova, but meet my son, christian." jake smiles, staring down at the little boy like he's his whole world.

"who was that lady?" i ask.

"that's mommy." the little boy interrupts.

"my ex wife." jake clarifies, adding on to his sons words.

i nod, "she seems like a nice lady." i sort of lie.

"she's a bitch." jake chuckles.

i crack a smile. the first smile in what feels like forever. jake produces his phone from his pocket and gives it to christian. the iphone 6 plus is massive in his tiny hands.

"are you from around here?" jake asks me.

i shake my head, "recently moved to california."

"that's neat. maybe show me around there sometime?"

my eyebrows raise in surprise due to his forwardness, "flirting?"

"if that's what you want to call it." he smiles in response.

i don't know how i feel about starting something with a man who has a child. i'd look like christian's older sister.