Chapter 16 (part 2)

On Friday evening after a two hour drive, Lauren and Camila finally arrived to their weekend getaway destination. The plan was to spend the night together and Ally and Dinah would join them later the next day.

The rental was set up on the hill overlooking Parson's beach. A spiral staircase from the basement garage took them straight to a spacious living room, which spread out to a terrace with a swimming pool. Camila led Lauren straight up a staircase which took them to the master bedroom where she opened a wall of curtains, revealing a view that instantly evoked the sense of being on top of the world. The younger one slid the glass doors apart, smiled and ushered Lauren to the balcony, staying behind her, her arms encircling Lauren's waist.

Lauren  went to the railing, lightly gripping it and looking over the side. The water looked as peaceful as she felt. "This view is gorgeous," Lauren whispered, a huge welling of emotion sighing through her voice.

It was a beautiful cloudless night, stars twinkling above the far horizon, a crescent moon shining brightly, a light breeze wafting the salty scent of the sea, the rhythmic roar of waves rushing onto the beach and withdrawing. But what made it incredibly special was the presence of the girl who was holding her.

Lauren leaned back against her girlfriend, nestling her head into the curve of Camila's neck and shoulder, loving the feeling of being safe in her embrace, safer than she had ever felt in her life.

They stared up at the sky, where the mottled white band of the Milky Way glowed against the plenitude of stars.

"See the dark lane running along the center?" Lauren asked.

Camila shook her head.

Lauren moved closer and pointed with her free hand. "There, where it looks like someone scribbled through it with a Sharpie."

Following the line of her arm, Camila focused on the ragged stripe. "Yeah. What is that?"

Lauren smiled. "It's the Great Rift, a big cloud of molecular dust... a place where new stars are forming."

Camila stared in wonder. "Why haven't I seen it before?"

"You have to be in the right place at the right time." Lauren murmured as she nuzzled her nose against Camila's neck.

Lauren turned her head and pressed her cheek against Camila's shoulder, her arms going around the small of her back to return the embrace. A couple of minutes passed as they stood there enjoying the view. The silence hung between them for a moment. Then Lauren reached for Camila's hands, cradling them in hers. She stared down at their fingers, threaded together. Lauren's thumb caressed the younger one's palm gently. "Babe, I'm starving. We should order out before it gets too late."

Camila smirked. "What do you want to eat?" Her gaze darkened as it dropped to Lauren's mouth. The suggestion trailed off as her eyebrows lifted a fraction and the edge of Camila's mouth kicked up in one of those sensual, secret smiles that had been making Lauren's breathing quicken all day.

No matter how long she'd been with Camila, the raw passion in her dark eyes was something she'd never grow tired of experiencing. Lauren shook her head to dissuade Camila from the direction her thoughts had taken. "Camz... we'll do plenty of that later but I really am hungry... for some real food!" Lauren started pulling her back towards the house.

Camila boxed her against the sliding glass door, her arms framing Lauren in. Camila kissed her, and warmth flooded Lauren as the younger one's mouth moved over hers. This, she craved. Her lips parted beneath Camila's, her fingers curled around the younger one's waist. Camila tasted exactly the way Lauren wanted her to taste, of some kind of sweetness that had no name. Within seconds, Lauren lost herself in the texture of Camila's mouth. Lauren deepened the kiss with a hunger she didn't bother to hide. It was like lighting a match to a pool of kerosene.