Chapter 2

"Alright class I will be assigning new partners." I informed my third period class and watched with a glint of amusement in my eyes as groans sounded from them.

"Esmeralda and Kane," red colored Kane's some-what stubbly cheeks as Esmeralda averted her gaze to the desk that was sat in front of her. I smirked at the pairing before continuing down the list,

"Tammy and Dillan," Dillan's expression changed from boredom to mischevious in less than two seconds from the words leaving my mouth. Tammy wore a worried look as she gnawed on her bottom lip resulting in it becoming a bright red. It continued on like this until everyone had a partner, the knowing glances exchanged between the two or nervousness that swam through some of their veins as they heard who they would be working with. 

I grinned as I took a seat in the swivel computer chair that was placed behind my desk. My thoughts drifted off to Mabel and Colton and how I promised Colton that I would get him closer to Mabel. I wouldn't see either of them until after my lunch break and a frown sketched itself onto my lips as my mind drew a blank.

"Miss. Parsons?" A strong voice called from my left side as I jotted down a few ideas that weren't very efficient.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow in the direction of Max, a boy who I had paired up with Opal; she was a junior who was currently sitting in a senior class because of her genius mind.

"Opal doesn't seem to want to work with me," he pointed out as I glanced at Opal who was scribbling away on the worksheet without an opinion from Max. Max had a bit of sadness floating throughout his forest green eyes as he watched Opal through the strands of her hazel brown hair that fell to caress her side.

"Opal?" I called, her eyes, that were hiding behind her large framed glasses, shot up to meet my disapproving ones. I beckoned her forward with my pointer finger, she carefully placed her number two pencil on the table so it wouldn't roll off the edge.

"Yeah?" She quietly questioned while standing at my desk and twirling her necklace between her middle and pointer fingers.

"Why don't you include Max a bit more in this project?" I softly smiled at her as she was now running the locket up and down the chain. She nodded, her glasses falling down to the tip of her nose before she scurried back to her plastic seat and acknowledged Max. Max had a large half smile attack his lips as they conversed over the Romeo and Juliet worksheet.

My mind went back to my fifth period class, which would also be considered my last period class. The bell rung signalling it was time for my lunch break, I stared at the doorway as students piled out of it and I noticed Max gripped onto Opal's petite hand, they were not intertwined but they were still holding hands. My lips twitched into a smile at the sight of the two standing at such a close proximity.

I was unwrapping my turkey and cheese sandwich as my cell phone vibrated on my wooden desk. My eyes gazed at the words printed on the screen,

12:30 MEETING WITH MABEL'S GUARDIAN

"Oh my," I nearly choked on the chunk of turkey I was swallowing as the time on my phone read 12:28 P.M. and there was a tapping on the siding that decorated the door frame. I rolled the aluminum foil into a ball seeing as I had finished eating and looked up to meet two different colored eyes. The right was a dark brown where the pupil was nearly unnoticeable while the left was a stunning blue. "Um, hi. You must be Mabel's brother?" I stood and flattened down my black pencil skirt before reaching out my hand to shake his, his grip was firm and the warmth of his palm spread up my arm.

"I prefer Dustin, but Mabel's brother works as well." He smiled a charming smile while his voice was deep and rugged that went along with his look. He reminded me of a lumberjack with his beard that was beginning to form and his red and black plaid shirt that he wore tucked in.

"What would you like to discuss?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing together, Mabel was an excellent student and this meeting was not my idea. Mabel had shuffled up to my desk one afternoon and handed me a note without a word, and then she left to her designated seat.

"It's Mabel, clearly," he lightly chuckled sending a chill down my spine and the hair on my arms to stand, "is she, uh, getting along with the other kids?" He huffed out a breath as he scratched at the apple of his cheek lightly, the worry dripping onto his words. I smiled at the concern he had for his little sister.

"Yes, yes," I nodded and smiled as thoughts of Colton and Mabel exchanging words floating into my mind, "there is actually this boy, Colton, who has taken a liking to Mabel." I informed him and an emotion of over-protectiveness crossed his features.

"A boy?" His voice was rougher and not so gentle as it was before I had mentioned Colton. I rolled my eyes removing my glasses and looking at him with stern eyes.

"Yes, a boy and if you ever want to have little nieces or nephews you are going to have to let Rapunzel out of the castle." I told him, his appearance turning to disgust leaving a smirk to settle itself on my lipstick covered lips.

"I don't want to have little nieces and nephews before I have little younglings of my own." He grumbled, I shook my head in delight of watching his uncomfortable shifting the chair his body frame was too large for. "Is it not in the school's budget to afford comfortable seats?" He muttered under his breath.

"Your sister is about to enter my class at any minute now and unless you want to embarrass her I suggest you get a move on." I suggested standing from my seat once again as he stood as well.

"That won't be too bad if that boy is in your next class." I released a loud laugh that sounded over-exaggerated even to my own ears. "He is, isn't he?" He asked, turning in the doorway as he was about to exit and my heart nearly stopped in my chest as the ticking of the clock reached my ears telling me it was getting closer to the bell ringing.

"Listen, please just leave, don't humiliate Mabel." I was practically begging at this point.

"I will leave now if you agree to go on a date with me," He bargained, the words had barely registered to my ears before I was already nodding my answer,

"Yeah, yes, okay. Now leave." I nearly shoved his large chest out of the way before he moved as well allowing his weight to ease up on my arms.

"I will set-up a follow-up meeting to discuss Mabel and this boy as well as our date." He whispered just as the the bell had chimed throughout the school and Dustin made his way out of the building. Then it struck me like a ton of bricks falling onto my back and nearly knocking all the air out of my lungs, I had just agreed to a date with one of my student's family members.