Chapter 11

Sooo, guys, here's the next chappie! ^_^ Hope you weren't waiting for it too long!

--------------------------------

Chapter 11

Terror.

            That was the one feeling running through my body at the moment. The one feeling coursing through my veins like a touch of black poison, leaving my gut wrenching and my heart palpitating at its wake. I couldn't breathe. The walls were closing in on me, it seemed. My legs were turning to jelly. At any moment now, I'd collapse, unable to deal with the fear.

            A surge of anger rushed through me, overpowering the terror for a mere second. Anger at myself, for believing myself to be so weak. But then it subsided. Who was I kidding? I was pathetic. Powerless.

            I felt a cold chill, like there were a pair of eyes watching my every move, even through the darkness.

            My eyes were slowly adjusting though, and as a result, distinct shapes and figures came into my view. There were lamps that looked like heads, jackets that looked like faces, pillows that looked like bodies.

            But through the darkness, I could see the faint outline of a figure emerge, like a shadow creeping up on its prey, waiting to swallow it whole. It stopped a short distance away, and I couldn't make out much, as it blended in with the darkness, but I could make out one thing.

A cloak.

It cascaded down like a waterfall, and the hood looked to be pulled up. I knew exactly who it was, but I stayed grounded at my spot, despite the overpowering fear I was feeling.

            "Well, that was fun," came a low, velvety murmur that bounced off the walls of the room. "We should do it again sometime."

            I let out an uneven laugh. "Oh yeah, so much fun. Totally with you on that."

            "You're trembling, cupcake." Huh, was I? I didn’t even notice. "Are you, dare I say, scared?"

            I wanted to laugh out loud. Scared? Oh, no no no. I was about a mile, 20 football fields, and the entire length of the Mississippi River past that.

            Instead, I held up my pointer finger and attempted a smile in his direction, though I doubted he could see it through the darkness. "Could you—could you give me one minute?" I was surprised by how even my voice came out sounding.

            At those words, I promptly turned and sprinted away. I had lived in this house since I was born, and knew my way around by heart, so I was able to find the stairs easily through the darkness, unlike the criminal behind me, from whom I was hearing several Oof!'s and Ouch!'s.

            The thumping of footsteps quick on my trail signaled to me that A was close behind me as I scrambled up the stairs and into my bedroom, slamming the door shut behind me and locking it. Instantly the door rattled as a loud thud vibrated off of it, as if a great force had been exerted on it from the other side. In other words, if I had been a millisecond slower, I would have been a cloaked murderer's grilled tuna sandwich by now.