Warming Up

Aragorn suggests a very unsuitable place for the Fellowship and yourslef to sleep, but Legolas helps you to keep warm. Basically an excuse to write fluff I'm sorry

"Seriously?" you asked dubiously, looking at Aragorn with one eyebrow raised, "Here?"

You gestured forwards to the mouth of the dark cave infront of you. The wet stone shone black, coated by a thick layer of the rain that was falling in fat drops around you. It was freezing, the sun having already set beyond the bumpy horizon, the only light in the area given off by the waning moon. It was at times like this that you regretted ever joining this quest. What you wouldn't give for a warm bed and a nice mug of hot soup right now...

"We don't have much of a choice," Aragorn sighed, his face grave, as he ushered the hobbits into the large crevice,"If we don't get some shelter soon, we'll freeze to death."

You nodded, knowing that he was right, and followed the hobbits, having to bend your head to avoid banging it on the low ceiling. Looking behind you, you noticed Boromir and Legolas having the same problem. Their shoulders were stooped low, and they bent their knees, the tops of their heads brushing against the wet stone.

"Ugh, it's freezing," you grumbled, sitting yourself down on the wet floor, wringing your hair out and hugging your thin coat closer to yourself.

"Why don't we make a fire?" suggested Boromir, rubbing his hands together to try to get the circulation back into his fingers.

"Great idea," you responded sarcastically, raising an eyebrow at him,"You find the dry wood, I'll get the flints out."

"Oh", he responded, his mouth pulling up in a grim smile, "dry wood, yeah. Forgot about that.."

Legolas sat down next to you, touching his broad shoulder to your much narrower one, huffing out a breath that turned to smoke in the cool air.

"We cannot go and look for a different place, it's pitch black outside."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," you responded begrudgingly, "Sorry everyone, I'm just a bit stressed at the moment."

You recieved a few murmurs of "Don't worry about it," from the hobbits, who were already lying down on the cold floor, ready to sleep. It wasn't unusual for somebody to be irritated. The ridiculousness of the situation meant that, at any given time, one memebr of the Fellowship was always going to be pissed off. 

You felt a warm hand on your back and glanced upwards to see Aragorn looking down on you.

"You should get some sleep, (your name)," he said, sitting down himself, "We have a long day tomorrow."

You nodded. He was right. Tomorrow would be a long day, as would be the next, and the next...

Aragorn lay on the ground next to Boromir and closed his eyes. Soon the small cavern was full of the sounds of gentle snoring mixing with dripping water. You wrapped your arms tighter around yourself and lay down on the floor, trying to stop your teeth from chattering. Your soaking wet clothes clung to your body, and every movement evoked a string of uncontrollable shivers that wracked from your head to your toes and left you gasping for breath. You tried curling up into the fetal position to get some much needed warmth, but it was futile.

"Are you awake, (your name)?" you heard Legolas whisper into the darkness.

"Y-yeah, I...I am," you responded, teeth chattering.

You felt a warm body behind yours and glanced up to see Legolas sitting beside you, pulling off his thick leather waistcoat.

"Here," he said, draping it across your shoulders, "You need this more than I do."

"no, no. Don't worry about it, Legolas. I'm fine. Just a bit chilly." You were too proud to accept any help from him, as always.

"Elves," he explained,"Are not affected by cold weather as humans are. We can survive in the Misty Mountains for months wearing little more than I am wearing now."

You smiled at him, raising your eyebrows and taking teh jacket with a nod of thanks, pulling the extra layer over your body, trying to cover as much of you as you could.

"Here," he said, "Lie sideways and I'll try to warm you up."

You did as he asked, and lay on your side, your hip pressing painfully into the stony ground. Your eyebrows raised in surprise as you felt his warm body slide up behind you. This wasn't what you thought he had meant. His arm wrapped around your waist, and you felt his shallow breaths tickle your neck, making the hairs stand on end.

"Is this OK?" he whispered, his hot breath warming your ear, "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"Oh trust me," you responded, quicky becoming accustomed to the heat, "I am VERY comfortable,"

You felt his smile on your neck, and slowly fell asleep to the smell of musk and pine needles and the sound of the incessant rainfall pattering onto the wet floor outside. But you didn't care. You were warm, you were relatively dry, and you were most definitely happy.

If anyone has any oneshot requests, send 'em on in x