Chapter Six

Alex woke up just as the sun was rising. Her body felt energized and relaxed despite it being her first night sleeping in her non-hyperbaric chamber bed. She made herself breakfast in her tiny kitchen and then sat by the window to admire the view.

She had not begun to look for a job, but felt there was no need to rush the process. With the entire day free from obligation, she was able to do whatever she liked. She thought she would start her day by exploring the pyramid to see all that it had to offer. As far as she knew, most of the tiers were residences, offices, and hotels and offered little in terms of attractions. Each floor had its own markets and amenities, but the Grand Marquis Echelon was where all the parks, shopping, and recreational facilities were located.

After breakfast, Alex took the tram down to the first level. When she exited, she was immediately greeted by the same lush and serene park that Milo had visited the day before. Heading into the park, she walked past the same bench where Milo was arrested. Had she looked closely, she may have even seen a few drops of his blood that had dripped from his nose less than twenty-four hours earlier.

The Grand Marquis Echelon was massive. Continuing through the park, Alex was met by a labyrinth of retail shops, restaurants, themed rides, and the world's largest indoor water park. She spent a few hours walking around the shops and greeting the occasional person who recognized her.

It wasn't until noon when she received the call she was waiting for.

"Milo, where are you? I was so worried."

"I was arrested and questioned in connection to the protest," he explained.

"Arrested! Why were you arrested?"

"Apparently I fit the description of the protesters. Once they determined my innocence, they let me go."

"Where are you now?"

"I'm standing in front of the jail. I've just been released."

"Alright, wait there, I'll come meet you."

Milo stood on the street outside the jail waiting for Alex. When she arrived, her face lit up with delight. "Milo!" she called out. "I'm so glad you're okay. We were so worried about you," Alex said as she threw her arms around him.

"We?" he said. Not a moment later, Milo saw who Alex was referring to.

"Why did you bring Aris?" he lamented.

With her arms still wrapped around him, she whispered in his ear and told him to be nice.

"Hello Aris, good of you to make it."

"I'm glad to see you're still in one piece."

The two exchanged pleasantries, but neither of them was being sincere.

They got back into the taxi and Alex instructed the automated driver to take them to Union and Lexington.

"Driving to... Union and Lexington," the robotic voice repeated.

Once in the vehicle, there was an awkward silence that loomed. Eventually, Milo broke the tension and asked Alex to show him the enhanced images of her again. Alex was thankful someone was talking and happily obliged. She dislodged her access pod from her arm, loaded the images, and handed it to Milo.

"The first one is what I should look like at thirty," she reiterated, primarily to fill the silent void. "This next one is what I should look like at forty, and, finally, when I'm fifty."

"Huh," Milo said.

"What is it?" Alex asked.

"Well, it's probably nothing, but I think I met this lady yesterday."

"Really?" Alex asked, fully captivated. "Where?"

"She was in jail with me. She introduced herself as Marylee or Myla or something, I can't remember. She told me she was the leader of the protesters."

"The crazy people from the rally?" Aris asked.

"Yes, but they're not crazy."

"Oh no, not at all," Aris retorted. "We practically live in utopia under a benevolent leader and they're instigating riots. I say we shouldn't get too carried away with this since we have no idea who this lady is. All we have to go on is Milo's spotty judgment and failing memory about some random lady he spent a few minutes with while under duress."

"My judgment and memory are just fine," Milo barked. "I say you mind your own business?"

"I don't want to get your hopes up, Alex, but I don't think it was your mum," Aris continued.

"How do you know that, Aris?" Milo retorted back.

"Because Milo, you don't even remember the lady's name. Do you expect us to trust your fading memory of what she looked like? Besides, it's just some lady who resembles an image of what Alex may look like at forty."

"This whole thing was your big idea, remember? To find a lady who resembles the image. Or were you just creating a reason to hang out with Alex?"

"Everyone just calm down," Alex demanded.

Silence consumed the taxi once again. After a moment, Alex resumed the conversation.

"Okay, we know my mother and I were separated at birth, so it's certainly reasonable to conclude she was a criminal."

"Yeah, but she was just arrested the same time as Milo, meaning she was free before. Why then has she never tried to contact you?"

"Her reasoning for not contacting her is irrelevant," Milo said.

"Milo's right, besides we don't know she hasn't," Alex said.

"Oh okay, I forgot, you hear voices. On second thought, maybe you and the crazy lady from prison are related," Aris said.

"Hey, pal, show her some respect or I'll come over there and teach you some manners."

"Why don't we just circle back to the jail and ask her if she's your mum."

"Good thinking, Aris" Alex said. "Driver, change course."