0.7 | Cheaters Get Caught

Sapphire

"Wait up, chugs!" Ian calls out as I slam my locker shut, finally ready to go home. The school day ended a lot quicker than it usually does, and I make a mental note to hit up the beach. That is, if whatever Ian wants doesn't mess with my plan.

"Chugs?" I enunciate, turning to face him, my arms crossed over my chest.

He chuckles, "Yeah, you chug everything; alcohol, water, juice. Hell, probably even medicine when you're sick."

"Especially medicine," I comment. The faster you get it down, the better. "But, tell me, what do you want now?"

"Gee, I feel loved."

I roll my eyes, "Go to your girlfriend if you want to feel loved."

"I feel more loved by you, if anything." He mutters under his breath. Obviously not something I was meant to hear. A smile takes form on his lips and he leans back against the lockers in a casual manner. "I wanted to invite you to my game. My sister can't make it, so I have her ticket." He holds up the spare ticket and I open my mouth to say something, but he stops me, "Julissa is a cheerleader, so she's gonna be there without the need of a ticket."

"Hmm," I nod. "I would, but Amber is usually my ride home. Thanks anyway."

"I could give you a ride, you know?" He shrugs as if it's nothing.

I look around at the few people left in the hallway, who are rushing to go home. When I meet his gaze again, I say, "I got lucky last time you gave me a ride. She didn't see us, but I'm sure she'll want a ride home with you after the game. Am I supposed to join in on the backseat?" I question, scrunching up my face. "Hell no, I'm no third-wheel and I'm too young to die."

This time, it's his turn to roll his eyes. "She won't do anything. Plus, she never asks for a ride anymore."

"That's kinda weird," I comment, lifting a confused brow. "You guys would always ride home together."

"Yeah, but what can you do? People change, and she's changed more ways than one. Sometimes I even question if she even loves me anymore," he sighs deeply. "No that you care, anyway."

I can't help but frown at the comment, "I care, it's just not my business."

"Right," he mumbles. Then, as if a switch was flipped, his shoulders straighten and a bright smile illuminates his face. "So, what do you say? Would you be my friend and cheer for me at my game?"

I snatch the ticket from his grip, smiling at him as I wave it in his face. "No take-backs."

His face drops, "What are you? Twelve?"

"On a scale of one-to-ten, sure." I offer teasingly, nudging him with my shoulder.

He rolls his eyes and I laugh as we make our way out towards the field. He takes off towards the boy's locker room, and I join the crowd already sitting on the bleachers. Everyone is just waiting for the teams to make an appearance, some stuffing nachos into their face, while others take embarrassing selfies before the game starts. And when our team finally comes out onto the field, everyone cheers at the top of their lungs.

The cheerleaders do their routine, earning a few wolf whistles from creepy men. I look over at the old man sitting beside me, who is staring way too intently. Sir, they're minors . . . Julissa does a back handspring before jumping and landing in a split. My eyebrows rise. That's impressive.