Chapter 1

One of the things I hate about school are the hallways. Trying to get through the sea of people is like trying to play red rover with wrestlers. It's impossible. You can try to shove people out of your way but then you'll just get shoved back. And then you'll get caught behind the really slow people. It drives me crazy. I just want to blow a blow horn behind them to speed them up. And then there are the people  that have dramatic conversations or arguments right in the middle of the hallway. I mean, really? Is it that difficult to take it somewhere else?

Anyway, I was just trying to get through the hallway one day when I tripped and spilt all of my things on  the floor. I hurriedly tried to pick everything up so I wouldn't be late for my next class. The feet that scurried by stepped on my books and kicked my pencils across the floor. I cursed under my breath. Does no one see that I am trying to pick up my stuff here?

You see I was that girl. The invisible girl who is just trying to get good grades and not get into any trouble. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a nerd or anything, getting good grades didn't come easy for me. I was just that plain girl that no one pays any attention too. Another face in the crowd. It didn't bother me much, I wasn't a social person anyway. It was just me and my two best friends.

Aria is the popular one. She is outgoing and funny and everyone loves her and claims to be her best friend. But she usually just hangs out with me and Renee. She's on the volleyball team and is also in choir for her amazing voice. I'm still surprised that she is friends with me. She is totally oblivious to all of the boys around her though. They all look at her with such longing and of course she is the only one who doesn't notice. 

Renee isn't as popular as Aria, but she is pretty well known. She's an amazing artist and is into punk rock. She's also really creative with makeup. Any kind of look you could imagine she could create. She was the most creative person I knew. She was also more risky with guys. She has had a few flings here and there but most of the time she picks the guys that aren't good for her. It really worries me sometimes.

And then there's me. Plain, boring, old me. Jeans and a T-shirt. No makeup. No guys that are interested in me and no guys that I am interested in. Just me.

When I finally gathered all of my things, I ran off down the hall. If I was late for Mrs. Johnson's class she would kill me. Everyone has had one of those teachers, right? The ones that count every second after the bell as a tardy and will give you a lecture in front of the entire class. And I did not like being the center of attention. So as you can see, I was in a hurry. Which is why I didn't notice that I forgot to pick up my notebook. 

A very important notebook. 

Now this wasn't just any notebook. This was a notebook that Aria, Renee and I shared. Since we didn't have a lot of classes together and didn't have a lot of time in the halls to stop and chat we wrote in the notebook. We wrote about things going on in our day, annoying teachers, people we don't like, people we do like, all sorts of things. Things that were meant to stay only between us. So by the time that class ended and found out that it wasn't there, to say I was freaking out would be an understatement. When I went back out into the hallway it was nowhere in sight. It was official. I was doomed.

By the time lunch rolled around I was going through different ways to break the news to my friends about what happened. Who could've taken it? It could've been anyone. This is so bad, I don't even know a majority of the people in my grade, let alone the entire high school! How would I ever find it?

"Hey Lilah," I jumped at the voice that appeared right behind me. "Geez, why are you so jumpy?" Renee asked as she looped her arm through mine.

"I'm not jumpy," I said as she led us to our table.