Sleeping On The Job {25}

"Good Morning Sir. Good Morning Ms Delilah"

Mr McKinley just acknowledged Nate's presence with a nod of his head. "Morning Nate" I responded back to him.

Mr McKinley pressed the button which lifted the black screen to separate the front seats from the back seats.

Pulling out an envelope from his back pocket Mr McKinley said, "Ms Suren I feel as though it's better for the both of us if I hand deliver your checks to you. I was told that your neighborhood wasn't the best and the last thing I want is for you to lose your check then I have to pay you over again which will be money that i'm wasting. Also I'm returning to your laptop. I need you to use it. This is going to be your second phone."

"Ok sir."

"So this is your first payment" he passed me the envelope, "It's only $1000 since you didn't work the full week." I put the envelope into my clutch before I shut it.

"It's fine. Thank you"

With a nod of his head Mr McKinley returned to responding to emails as I sat in the car in silence.

After a couple of minutes I felt myself getting drowsy. The combination of my hangover plus my greasy breakfast equaled exhaustion. I tried my hardest to stay up but the silence of the car and the gentle purr of the engine that I was getting used to made me slip into unconsciousness.

"Ms Suren" I felt my body shake but the sleep was like an anchor that kept pulling me down.

"Ms Suren" I opened my left eye to see Mr McKinley's dark brown eyes looking back at me. Realization sunk in and I jumped upright.

My head banged into the roof before I started to realize that I was in a car. I rubbed my forehead in an effort to ease the pain and using my other hand I rubbed the sleep boogers out of my eyes.

After getting rid of the sleep from me I looked to see Mr McKinley brooding gaze on me.

"Now you're sleeping on the job" came his snarky reply.

Regaining my composure I replied, "Sir I'm not on shift"

Mr McKinley looked away from me and in my head I started jumping in joy. This was one point for me. I tried to hide my smug smile by looking down.

"Ms Suren being cocky is not part of your job description." he retaliated

"Well being rude is not part of yours" I instantly regretted what I said after it left my mouth. But I knew it was too late.

"Excuse me? Don't forget that i'm still your boss. We may be of duty but I am still your boss."

I didn't respond and after a couple of minutes I looked down and pulled my phone out of my bag.

"How's the phone?"

"It's good. I don't think I had the chance to thank you"

"No I don't think you did." he said his eyes on the road

"Well thank you. I really appreciate it"

With a nod of his head me and Mr McKinley slipped into a comfortable silence. The time till we reached my place consisted of me playing Candy Crush and looking out the window.

I saw the run down streets and rusty pole of the bus stop which reminded me that I was home. Nate stopped the car in front of my apartment building.

"Have a good rest of the day Sir"

Mr McKinley looked out the window at my neighborhood and I quickly scrambled out of the car in an attempt not to hear his comments.

I felt a hand grab mine before I was able to slip into the May heat.