Prologue

Prologue

{Landon}

Frustrated.

That's the only word that can describe the way I am feeling.

Feelings.

Do I have those anymore?

The ache in my head would not subside. I have tried everything to relieve my mind.

How can I relieve my mind, when I have to worry about not losing it?

Knock. Knock.

It's an endless cycle of stress and stressing over stress.

'Oh, my head.' I think rubbing my fingers over my eyes.

"Enter." I grunt out the command.

"Alpha," EJ, my beta, greets me with a bow.

"What?"

He goes to reply, but stops once he notices my baggy eyes and ruffled hair.

"Landon, are you okay?" He asked, dropping the formalities.

EJ and I used to be best friends. That was before my father shipped off the title to me, and I had to grow up faster than he did. He still is rather childish from time to time.

Now, do not mistake me, I love being Alpha, and I love my pack. However, There are days where I feel as though it all falls on my shoulders.

We are a Warrior pack. That means we are very well trained in combat. There are different types of packs: the peace packs, spiritual packs, and even wild pack. I have always looked down on the wild packs. The way they live in their wolf form and rarely bathe gives them quite a dirty reputation.

I have one of the biggest packs with around 100 wolves and 30 of them live in the pack house.

I am tough on my pack. We have to be strong; we are a warrior pack, and I, like most of the pack, take great pride in that.

I realized far to late that I had spaced out, and could not stop EJ from his word vomit.

".. I tried it. I mean I wasn't sure at first. I was like 'are you sure it will fit in such a small space?'. The newness was hard to get use to, I'll admit, but once you got over the change it-"

"What the actual fuck are you trying to say to me right now?" I was in shock.

Is he saying what I think he is?

"My new mattress? Weren't you listening? I think you might need a better night sleep."

I can't help but roll my eyes. At least I forgot about my headache. Well, until now that is.

"What is it you wanted, EJ?" I asked frustrated once again that my headache was back.

"Oh, I almost forgot! Well, Jeremy told Jeff, and Jeff told me that there was a rogue sighting near the river."

"And you waited to tell me until now?" I asked through a growl.

"Yes, you see, you looked very tired. As your friend, I worry, naturally. I have come to the conclusion-"

"Let's go." I call over my shoulder.

"- that you need a mate." He says running to catch up.

Yeah, I know.

*********

We changed into our wolves, and ran through the wood to the rogues. It was strange to have a rogue on our land; they know that when it comes to giving second chances, I'm not the most forgiving.