Chapter 10

Edited.
Comment as you read :)
*************

Comment as you read :)*************

Chapter 10

I had been standing in front of him for what felt like ages. "I can't help you and you can't help me."

"You have no idea what is going on my side." The Anater looked pained, his eyes swarming with what seemed like hatred.

I stood rigid, scared he would lash out if I moved. "I can't help you. And I don't want to. I want to kill you and you want to kill me. That's how things go. We don't 'help' each other."

He chuckled, tilting his blond head slightly to the side. "You don't get it. That Fallen demon I just killed back there, he's going to wake up. He's seen you. He won't stop looking for you and he definitely won't be alone."

"L-Looking for me?" I looked up, startled. "What does it matter that he finds me! H-He probably thinks you've taken his d-dinner from him."

The Anater ran his hands through his golden locks. "This is much bigger than you think. For some damned reason, you're wanted."

"Wanted? By who? Who would want me, I'm just-"

"Drop it. If you want to survive, you're going to shut your mouth and do as I say. Is that clear?" He seemed frustrated, but not by me. He looked away from me, his hands held into fists by his side.

My mind wandered back to Dad, to Kaila and Derreck. Would they miss me? Would they be looking for me? I looked downwards, to my worn boots. I can't ask myself these stupid questions, when I know the answer. I'm already dead to everyone.

Keeping my eyes casted down, I opened my mouth to speak. "How can I trust you? How am I supposed to believe you?"

The Anater crouched down to his knees, reaching behind his backpocket to protrude my small handgun I had left in the field where he had taken me captive. He slowly let it drop on the mattress by my feet.

"Trust me, I'm only trying to save myself here. And that means keeping you alive." His response was stern, a chill running down my spine.

I reached for the gun slowly, afraid he had tricked me into reaching for it, only to have my neck snapped in the process. Once I held it sternly in my hand, I opened my mouth to ask him a burning question. "What am I supposed to call you?"

He backed away, getting up from his crouch.  "You don't call me anything."

"What was your name... before?" I mumbled.

"Irrelevant."

I looked up, meeting his gaze. "Ash."

His brows furrowed, confused, "What?"

I swallowed down my fear, pushing myself against the bookshelf beside the mattress. "It's the color of your eyes. Ash."