CHAPTER 13 - PHONE CALLS

CHAPTER 13

PHONE CALLS

MIA COLLINS

Few hours later

It's been a few hours since I've reached home. I put some waffles on the plate with syrup and sit to dine but my phone rings. It's Emma.

"MIA? Where were you? I searched for you for a long while during lunch break but I couldn't find you!" she asks worried.

"Umm.. I was kicked out of Mrs. Warner's class."

"WHAT?" She asks surprised but I didn't reply.

"Then where were you? You disappeared from the campus?"
I laugh at her funny voice but she scolds me.

"Okay, I went to watch a movie with James." I blurt out without knowing the consequences.

"WHAT?" She asks even surprised. "I know he was missing but...I didn't even imagine him to be with YOU!" She says.

"Why not?" I mock her.

"Now tell me what happened." She asks eagerly but I frown at her. I realize that she can't look at my reaction from the other side of the phone so I say,

"Obviously we watched a movie."

"C'mon dude! Like how did you get away with him?" she asks. Then I explain a gist of the story to her.

"Wow! I wonder what's going on between you two." She asks wryly and I blush.

"There's nothing going on between us." I say her shyly trying to avoid my ecstatic voice.

"I'll find out very soon." She whispers. "and hey! Adam was worried about you."

"Oops! I'll call him right away." I say her with a worried expression.

"Yeah, you need to. Fine.... Take care Mimi, bye!" she hangs up.

I dial Adam's number and he picks up the phone after the fifth ring.

"Hey, Adam!" I greet him.

"Why did you call me?" was the only reply. I all at once knew that he was angry.

ADAM JOHNSON

"Adam, what's wrong?" she asks and I get even more agitated.

Today I was really upset with her. I ran to her classroom and few of the girls told me that she was kicked out by Mrs. Warner. I was surprised. She's not the girl who gets herself distracted in the class. Not once have I heard of a complaint about her but what I heard today was surprising. I heard that she went away from the class with teary eyes so that made me upset even more. I wondered where she might have disappeared. I knew she would stand by the windows if she is upset. So I checked every floor to catch her weeping by the window but I didn't find her. I asked Emma but she was blank. I looked for James but he was missing too.

I didn't worry about James because he has ditched school a million times before to hang out with some others and at the same time his head was aching so probably he might be resting in his house. But that wasn't the case with Mia. For God's sake, I couldn't imagine what she was up to. I called her many times but it was switched off. That worried me even more. I just sat there all the while in school wondering about her sudden absence.

When she called me now, I was so eager to talk to her but something pulled me and told me to get angry with her.

"Tell me what you want." I scold. I get no reply from the other side and I imagine Mia's face that would've looked hurt.

"Okay, umm... where were you all this while?" I ask her as soft as possible getting rid of my harsh voice.

"I'm sorry." She says in a puppy voice and I feel guilty for making her feel hurt. "I.. I went to watch a movie with James because he asked me to." She says and I gape.

Mia ditched the class for a movie? I wondered.

"Oh, well. I was worried because you were dismissed from Mrs. Warner's class – "

"Yeah, I was. But James wanted to watch a movie and he said that would lessen the pain in his head so I accompanied to make him feel better." She interrupts me. Oh, so this is why she went away.

"Oh! Did he feel better after watching the movie?" I ask her.

"Yeah, he did." She replies. 

"OkayAdamtakecarebye!" she hangs up. It was weird that she told the last sentence without space. I wonder what was wrong but I soon delete all my confusions because she was safe. She just went to watch a movie with James.

James is a good guy and has pretty well adjusted to Mia. I'm happy that he tried to pacify Mia's worry by taking her to a movie today. Now with all my worries gone, I can sleep and dream.

A/N : 

Any guesses why Mia ended the call abruptly???