-Chapter 39-

"Come on little lady," The Agent says, tugging on my arm. I try to pull my arm back, appalled by the man's gruff behavior. He doesn't loosen his grip on my arm, despite my attempts. "Have a beer with me."

   I tug my arm back, finally pulling free, and gasp, when the door flies open. A tall Agent trudges in, his hair slicked back. His uniform is dirty and torn, and I wonder what type of fight he found himself in. I don't recognize him, but something about him sets me on edge. He looks towards me, and something in his icy blue eyes changes. I gulp, forcing myself to look back at him. He's good-looking, and judging by his expression, he knows it.

   "I see we have a new companion," The Agent slurs, running his hand over his jaw. He comes forward, but he doesn't lay a finger on me. He just stares, as if he is waiting for me to say something. He steps forward some more, and the Agent that had offered me a drink steps away, going to take a seat with the rest of the Agents.

   "You don't recognize me?" The Agent asks, stepping forward, his arm brushing mine. I take a step back, the hairs on my arms raising. I've had enough. He doesn't seem at all fazed by my movement, and moves closer again.

   "I'm afraid not," I say, peering up at him through my lashes. "But you'll forgive me, I am sure. I have met many Agents."

   "Maybe you remind me of someone," His voice says, dropping an octave. "Ah, yes. You remind me of the woman I danced with at the last Social Gathering. Lady Paula was her name, I believe," My heart drops when I hear my alias being mentioned. I only danced with two men at the last Social Gathering. Kane and Paul. I made sure to avoid all Agents. I look up at the Agent, avoiding his cold stare.

   "Oh, well I am flattered," I say. "Lady Paula is a wonderful woman."

   The Agent chuckles, bringing his hand up to touch my jaw. I flinch, not wanting to be anywhere near this man. His knuckles brush my chin, and I hold my breath, trying to remain calm. "You know," He says, his voice low. "She happens to be very stubborn, but very smart. Not only that, but she's bull-headed. She doesn't take orders, and she knows how to drive a man crazy."

   I squint, trying to pick up on all the man is saying. His fingers wrap under my chin, bringing me closer. His eyes find mine, and a shiver runs down my spine. He leans down and places a feather light kiss at the corner of my mouth, whispering something so quiet, I almost think I am hearing him wrong. Felisha. My heart races, and I sigh with relief. Kane.

   "Arnold, that's a record with that one," A bulky Agent in the corner says, sizing up the Agent in front of me, who I now know is just Kane sporting a UCP. "None of us could get very close to her."

   "It's called experience, brother," Kane says, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I sigh, grateful to have him here with me. I had grown very uncomfortable in the presence of these Agents. "And now, I think I'm going to take this young lady out for a drink."

   "I tried that one," The Agent who had offered to take me to get a drink says, his eyes steely. "She apparently doesn't appreciate gentlemen."

   "Well," Arnold says, and I try to picture Kane standing in front of me. "I believe in being a gentleman." I smile, remembering that he said the same thing to me just earlier this morning.

   "I would love a drink," I say, watching as the Agent's jaw drops, and he looks between Kane and I. His eyes grow cloudy, and he stands.

   "Suit yourself," The Agent says, his voice rough. "I can see why your man threw you on the street."

   "Are you okay?" Kane asks, wrapping his arm around me as we walk out of the bunker. I nod, but I can't stop the tears pooling in my eyes. Kane pulls me over to the bush he dropped me off at earlier, and we kneel behind the thick plant. Kane turns his focus to me, and his eyes soften when he notices the tears running down my cheeks.