Chapter 15

After being told that the family dinner was at seven in the evening, Cameron pulled on a royal blue, tight fitted dress and her most comfortable heels. Her hair fell down her shoulders in soft curls, framing her face which had little makeup, but enough to make her look more beautiful.

She opened the door to join the others downstairs, when she almost bumped into Nate. She allowed his eyes to roam over her and when it finally landed on her face, he smiled.

"You look great".

Cameron sighed, attempting to step past him, but he blocked her.

She huffed out a breath. "Excuse me".

Nate licked his lips then rubbed the back of his neck. "Look, Cameron, I'm really sorry for how I reacted earlier. It was immature of me, and I....", he trailed off with a sigh. "Please forgive me".

Cameron swallowed visibly, staring blankly at the carpeted floor. "It's fine. Excuse me", she said, pushing past him.

Nate grabbed her by the arms and pulled her to him, their bodies pressing against each other. Cameron gasped when their bodies met, faces mere inches apart. He smelled purely male. Their eyes met, each searching the other, while Nate's hand tightened slightly around her waist, pulling her closer to him.
He lowered his head with the intention of a kiss, his breath fanning against her face. A trail of goosebumps suddenly ran along the length of Cameron's body, causing her to shiver, but she quickly cleared her throat to distract him from what had happened.

"I er- I better go down", she said, staring now at his chest.

Nate huffed out a breath and smiled, releasing his hold on her. "Yeah sure. I'll be there in some time", he said.

Cameron gave a brief smile and stepped away from him. She sighed then left the room. Nate watched as she walked away, sighing heavily when she was out of sight.

<><><><><><>

Cameron descended the stairs, pausing when she saw Danny coming up. She wanted to climb back up to avoid him, but she thought not. She didn't want Danny to think she was somewhat afraid of him.

They met in the middle of the stairs, Danny using his hand to lean against the walls so she couldn't pass.

Cameron rolled her eyes. "What do you want?", she asked in frustration.

"I need to talk to you", he smiled.

Cameron folded her arms. "I don't want to talk to you".

"It's important", he cocked a brow.

"We can't just-"

"Meet me in the garden right after the dinner", he cut in, walking past Cameron.

Cameron groaned then smoothened her dress, putting on her best smile before she went to join the others.

-----

Everyone seated themselves around a huge table, with utensils set out and servings in the middle. The children were at smaller tables in another corner of the room. There was loud chattering and laughter, no one seeming to notice Cameron's presence. She sighed and seated herself in the middle.

"OK everyone. Take your seats, we are ready to start!", Marjorie announced.

The few that was standing, took their seats, the chattering still ongoing. Nate entered suddenly, a smile smearing his face when he spotted Cameron. He had changed into a sweater like shirt, rolled up to the elbows and a pair of black pants. He looked fresh and sexy, Cameron thought.
He moved towards her and sat in a chair beside her. No one spoke, but the tension was thick in the air.
Danny and Katelyn joined shortly after, Emily behind. The three got seated side by side, directly in front of Nate, and Cameron, who resisted the urge to roll her eyes.
She eased back in her chair, her appetite suddenly at bay.