Chapter Sixteen

After being detained overnight, Alex woke up and stretched her muscles. Evidently, her body needed more time to adjust to the uncomfortable bed and conventional way of sleeping. Without an oxygen-infused hyperbaric sleep chamber, she definitely did not feel one hundred percent refreshed.

Alex paced back and forth like a caged animal, trying to exercise her mind. That was the only way she could feel free. Her mind recalled books and music for entertainment, mathematics for problem solving, and beautiful imagery for creativity. At the same time she did that, she began doing calisthenics to maintain her strength. For over two hours, she performed jumping jacks, squats, sit ups, and pushups until a voice came over the speaker system and interrupted her workout.

"We need everyone to leave their cells immediately and form an orderly line."

Just then, Alex heard a mechanical locking mechanism unlatch and her door slid open.

Sweaty and exhausted, Alex began to take deep breaths and slow exhales to reduce her heart rate. She had worked up a ferocious appetite and hoped it was time for lunch. Reluctantly stepping outside her cell, she took her place in line among the other detainees. She looked around and caught the glimpses of some inmates staring at her, but made sure not to make eye contact with anyone. It was her first time seeing the interior of the modern prison in daylight. It looked more like a university campus from the beginning of the 21st century – back when they had university campuses. The natural skylights and stainless-steel details actually seemed pleasant.

Unsure what to expect from prison life, she embraced it as an opportunity to gain valuable life experience.

"This way please," a prison guardian instructed.

The inmates marched past a row of cells then down a steel staircase. Once on the ground floor, they continued to be herded though a long corridor toward a large open area that contained rows of tables and a cafeteria-style kitchen at the far end. The ceiling was about forty feet from the floor and was comprised of a special glass that allowed natural sunlight to pour in during the day, but could also simulate natural light in the evening or in times of poor weather conditions. They were installed all over the common areas of the prison because it had proven to be effective for rehabilitation and morale.

Alex looked around to get acquainted with her new surroundings. Based on the layout, she figured if she were to drill a hole in the back of her cell, she would overlook the entire cafeteria.

Once everyone was in the cafeteria, the inmates maintained their single-file line to receive their food. Several guardians were stationed around the cafeteria to enforce order.

Alex grabbed a tray, filled it up with unappealing grub, and found a seat, alone. She kept her head down mostly because there were a lot of very intimidating-looking women. They had a way of making her feel like a plump fish that had been dropped in the middle of a shark tank. Alex knew a lot about human psychology and realized if any of the other inmates sensed even a hint of weakness in her, they would surely exploit it, instinctively. However, displaying too much brazen confidence early on would similarly incite the primal instincts in the other women and cause them to get territorial. She figured her best strategy was to go unnoticed.

"Is this seat taken?" a friendly voice asked.

Alex looked up and saw a familiar face looking back. "Mara, hi!" she said excitingly. It was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic, because it caught the attention of some of the other women. Alex immediately corrected her excitement and slumped low in her seat. This seemed to satisfy the women as they turned back around.

"Don't tell me, you're here to break me out?" Mara joked.

"Not quite," Alex laughed shamefully.