Chapter 11: Winter Loses the Tights

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 11: Winter Loses the Tights 

If it wasn't you it was me, and I'm glad to see that I was the one with the short stick.

- Winter Ozlin's Diary

. . .

It wasn't everyday that I didn't wear tights under my skirt. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I didn't have them on. It was like a whole new world with the wind hitting my bare legs. The goosebumps that formed sent chills up my entire body. As each breeze swept through me, I gripped onto the edges of the plaid skirt and held it firmly down. Because the unease I was at from the new outfit I was wearing, I didn't notice Brett snake up to me.

"Looking good, Winter," he whistled as soon as I stepped out of my dorm building. His body lingered next to me, and immediately my blood turned cold. Never had I liked Austin's friends. They were pigs and selfish. Thinking about it now, they were very similar to Austin's new behavior.

"Please walk away Brett," I said under my breath, but hoped it was loud enough for him to hear. If he did hear me, then he didn't show it because he stayed right by my side. Finally, I huffed a breath and stopped walking. Brett stopped with me and smiled at me with his crooked teeth. They bit down on his lower lip and I saw the crave in his eyes that all guys got. "Can I help you, Brett?" I asked with arms over my chest. First thing in the morning, I didn't want to have to deal with Brett Hupinly. He was always the last person on my list, even lower than Katelyn or Taylor.

"Just checking out my best friends girl," he said, as his eyes glanced up and down my body. It was a bad day to stop wearing tights. Clearly, this was a sign to never show my legs again. I was stupid to think that I was ready to go free again. It wasn't time, not yet.

"You pig," I hissed and shoved him aside so I could continue down my path to English class. Any place was better than being with Brett.

"You look different, Ozlin," he said, and followed behind me. I let out a sigh to show the anger that was boiling inside me.

"Can't imagine why," I whispered. I hated myself. I hated myself. I hated myself. What an idiot I was? Why couldn't I have waited till any other day to go tightless? Was that seriously what Brett was suddenly bothering me about? I'd been back for three weeks now, and he's never said anything to me before. Obviously, one thing changed: my legs.

"I bet you can think of something," Brett suddenly whispered, and I realized he was directly behind me. Out of no where, I felt his fingers tracing the bottom of skirt. My hands instantly shot behind me and pushed him away.

"Fuck off, Brett," I hissed, annoyed that I had to show such aggression this early in the morning. Oddly enough, Brett did back off. As I kept walking down the walkway, I noticed his position remained back at the fountain.

"Austin was right. You've changed!" He shouted to my back, and his words felt colder than the wind.

. . .

It took so much courage in me. My breathing was heavy. Rapidly, I inhaled and exhaled. My eyes zoned in on my target, and my body shuttered just thinking about what I was about to do.

The cafeteria was loud, as per usual. Lunch used to be my favorite part of the day. Eating while discussing the latest school gossip. At the end of the period, we always ended up talking down about our peers. It was a ceremony that we fulfilled practically every day, but now we were separated. The death of my parents seemed to be the end of the reign of Winter Ozlin.