Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Edited

 "Where's my Daddy?" Clara asked peering at me with bloodshot eyes and fresh tears brewing again. 

"He’s coming; don’t worry honey, he’s looking for you" I pulled her into another hug and she relaxed into me 

"I want my Daddy" she wailed 

"I know, I know" I looked up to see Phil staring at me with wide eyes. 

"She doesn't let anyone touch her, not even Alex!" 

"That's her Mom, right?" He nodded 

"My Mom is in heaven" Clara stated matter-of-factly as she lifted her head up from my embrace 

"Did Daddy tell you that?" 

She nodded and snuggled into me. "Clara, you need a bath and a change of clothes" I stood up with her in my arms "Where's her bathroom, Phil?" He signalled towards a door in the room; I walked in and saw a giant tub with rubber ducks all around the rim and loads of assorted bubble baths lined up against it. 

With Clara in my arms I bent down and put the plug in, turning the tap for the warm water on. Sitting Clara on the toilet I gently pulled her dress over her head and gasped, little bruises dotted her body. I felt bile rising up my throat but swallowed it down; Clara was staring down at her feet almost as if she was embarrassed. 

"I'm going get you back to Daddy" I promised, lightly kissing her forehead. Pulling off her pants, I sat her in the half full bath. Immediately she dipped her head under the water emerging with her eyes pinched tightly; she wiped her eyes before opening them. She looked at me with a little smile playing on her lips; her thick eye lashes glintingwith water making her eyes more prominent. 

For about half hour,Clara was splashing around; playing with the ducks. I washed her lightly with a flannel, and every time she winced I felt awful. I would not let them hurt her anymore; I'd rather it be me than her. Once I took her out of the tub, I wrapped a towel around her small frame and took her back to the bedroom, only to find Phil still standing in the position I left him in. I gave him a questioning look 

"Just in case" He said and I nodded understanding that he wanted to offer help.   

"Let's get you in some clean clothes" I said to Clara smiling brightly- who just nodded solemnly, not looking as happy as she was in the bath moments ago. I walked over to the wardrobe and opened it and looked at all the different outfits, should she wear a dress? Maybe a pair of jeans? Wait... is it nearly her bedtime? "What's the time Phil?" 

He looked at his watch "Quarter to 6" 

"Thanks, let's put you in your jammies" 

"I don't have any..." Clara whispered 

"You can borrow these" I suggested as I opened herevery draw until I found one filled with fluffy jammies- I pulled out a white pair with red hearts scattered all over it, I also took some socks out of another draw. I dressed Clara then looked at her damp hair that was still knotted "Wait here" I instructed smiling softly at her. I wentback to the bathroom and searched for a brush, I finally found one walking back out towards the bed that I left Clara on but she wasn't there. 

 "Clara?" I called out, looking over to Phil who pointed at the bed. I got down on my knees and peered under the bed, there she was cramped into a small ball hugging her body tightly "Baby, it’s alright. Trust me." I said holding my hand out "I won't hurt you, you know that Clara" I soothed until she took my hand and crawled out, I sat her back on the bed and raised my hand to brush the wisps of hair out of her face but she flinched "I'm not going to hurt you" I promised again "I'm just going to brush your hair, okay?" I asked her setting her between my legs.