Chapter 7: What Goes Bump In The Night

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Korbyn

It never occurred to me, that Bronwyn might treat Nova the way she had. Knowingly resuming the news that depicted the brutal executions of the humans that the vampires had found, not censoring anything. It gripped Nova around her heart, an iron fist refusing to release her chest as she felt the pain and sorrow of loosing members of her own race. They were killed without a second thought, just because of the laws my father and mother had enforced, put in place by those who ruled before them.

There were much darker vampires that roamed the world at night, seeking to use the darkness as a shroud, concealing them from watchful eyes. They would hunt, specifically looking to engage with any humans that had been unfortunate enough to be lost while the sun was down. These horrible ones seeking to end the life of humans just because they were told to, made me wonder, were we really the monsters?

Of course we are...

I couldn't forget the looks Nova gave me, the first and second time she had physically come in contact with me in the secluded garden, and then again when she saw the TV. So much fear...so much sadness clouded her eyes, unsure of who or what to put her trust in.

I'd never intentionally harm her. Yes, she's human and yes, I want to understand their species better, but even once everything has been said and done, I'd never kill her. Why should I? She's done nothing wrong. She's innocent, just a wayward soul looking to belong in this very harsh world.

"What were you doing just now?" I arched my eyebrows, lifting my eyes over the top pages of the book I had been "reading"...oh how my mind wandered lately. I caught a glimpse of Bronwyn skipping by my open bedroom door, her dark hair trailing out behind her as the rush of air caused it to float momentarily in the air.

Not a second later, she clutched onto the door frame with her right hand, peering her head into my room and stating, "Nothing."

"Really?" I snapped the book shut, placing it down on the bedside table, "Your heart is racing."

"So?" Bronwyn stated with irritation, her brilliant eyes glancing from me and then quickly darting to the left.

Liar.

I pushed off the bed, my bare feet touching down on the marble floor, the long gray sweat pants I wore touching the tops of my feet. Walking toward her, Bronwyn's eyes widened for a moment, knowing very well she practically never saw me without a shirt on.

"What did you do?" I asked calmly, my little sister whipping her head around and turning to move away from me.

Annoyed, I snatched the back of her shirt collar, halting her in her tracks and pulling her back toward me. I heard a small growl come from her, a slight huff and stomp of her foot as I turned her around to face me. Her eyes cast downward, shifting from side to side while she played with the hem of her white button up shirt.

"Bronwyn?" I asked once again, my thumb and middle finger adding slight pressure to the back of her neck, a noticeable wince appearing on her face.