Chapter 103

Five hours ago...

Fawn reached into her pocket and pulled out Mom's ruby necklace. The very same necklace Retro snatch off Lainey's neck at Vera's birthday party and shattered to pieces.

It was like new again.

"My mom's necklace," Lainey said quietly. "Where did . . . how did--"

"I fixed it," Fawn said, placing the necklace in Lainey's hand. "I want you to wear it, Lainey . . . and never take it off. You understand?"

Lainey narrowed her eyes at her best friend.

"Why?"

"It's enchanted with a protection spell," Fawn said. "As long as you're wearing it, you will be protected from all things you see as a threat. Whether that be humans, witches, the undead--even magic. . . . That means even from me."

Lainey sharply exhaled, clutching the necklace near her chest.

"Wow . . . thanks, Fawn."

"Oh, I'm nowhere near the realm of enchantment. That was all Jules--another witch friend. You haven't met her yet."

Lainey nodded.

"Please, tell her I said thank you." She brushed her hair back as she put on the necklace. "So, how does this work, exactly?"

"According to Jules, any violation made against the bearer--that would be you--is instead inflicted on the violator. And if the violator attempts to kill you, they'll be--and I quote--'consumed by the flames of their hate.'"

"Sheesh!" Lainey exclaimed. "That sounds . . ."

"Like karma?" Fawn interjected. She playfully pouted. "Aw . . . now I want an instant-karma necklace."

The girls laughed. Lainey appreciated that they still could amidst their sudden tribulations.

"Oh, almost forgot," Fawn said. "I'll ask Jules if she can make one for your mom after tonight."

* * *

"Lainey!" she heard Benjamin shriek. She could also hear Morrison howling in pain.

She clutched her necklace as she rolled to her side and opened her eyes.

She was still alive.

And Benjamin was right there by her side.

She smiled for him.

"Hey," she whispered.

So many emotions painted his face as he placed his hand on her neck.

"You're okay . . ." he whispered.

Lainey nodded.

"I'm okay."

Morrison's howling grew into a viscous roar. Benjamin and Lainey quickly turned to face him. He was holding his neck as if it was in pain. And his flesh suddenly set ablaze.

"What's . . . what's happening?" Benjamin gasped.

"I'll explain later," Lainey quickly said. "You have to get the Bone Dagger and end this!"

Benjamin reluctantly nodded.

"Right." He helped Lainey to her feet. "Stay back, okay. Please."

Benjamin began to walk away but Lainey grabbed his arm. He faced her again.

"Lainey?"