Chapter 44 - An unexpected friendship.

Chapter 44 – An unexpected friendship.

With ten minutes to go before training starts, Justin and I enter the clearing, and I quickly take note that almost everyone is here by now. This, of course, means that almost everyone sees the two of us arriving together, and I can't help the small blush that creeps up into my cheeks at the curious stares we're receiving.

Man up, woman.

David, Wendy, Wayne and Dean all stand at the front of the clearing, all apparently deep in discussion. Amy stands off a little way away with her parents but, so far, Jess, Devlin and Beck aren't here yet.

Justin and I left his house just after one, heading back to mine so I could get changed into some sweatpants and an old top, before heading over here. Just as we were leaving his, Wendy informed us that Devlin and Jess had taken off a little while ago to go and grab some lunch before training, so they should be here any minute. I have no idea where Beck is, though, and can only hope that he shows up soon. The girls were right this morning, I do need to talk to him, and I plan on doing so tonight.

"Justin," David calls out to him, waving us over.

"Come on," Justin says, taking my hand in his and tugging me over to his parents.

My blush only deepens at the looks everyone else is giving us, most of them consisting of outright disbelief, the others more a smug knowing. I frown at that slightly, coming to the realisation that apparently people have been starting to guess anyway.

Melissa and Rachel stand at the far end of the clearing, Rachel's expression unreadable whilst Melissa is trying to shoot daggers at me with her eyes. As I watch, Melissa turns to her friend and starts to say something, most likely about how much she wants me dead. Either way, I'm not too bothered and just continue on my way to David with Justin.

"Are you almost ready?" David asks as soon as we reach the group, and Justin and I both nod. "Good."

Justin's already explained the training plan to me, not long after we had the discussion about Rachel, and so I'm aware of what we're going to do.

David wants it so that we'll be ready to attack tomorrow and, to do that, he first needs to find our toughest fighters. The plan is to eventually split us into two groups: those who will be going out to attack the rogues, and those who will be staying at home to protect our land in case some of the rogues slip past us. Those with less experience and skill will be the ones staying at home as they, hopefully, won't have to fight unless it's our very last resort.
David, Wayne and Wendy will be taking over the training session, with the occasional input from Dean and Justin. I don't think Justin minds all too much, though. In fact, he was telling me earlier that he's glad he doesn't have as much pressure resting on his shoulders, he doesn't think he's good enough yet. In response, I told him that he needs to stop doubting himself and that he's going to make a great Alpha someday.

For training, we'll be pairing up like last time, switching from human form to wolf so that we can be properly assessed on our skills. The training routine was prepared earlier so now pretty much all we have to do is listen to whatever the three teachers tell us. I'm kind of excited, to be perfectly honest, as I've never really seen Wendy in action before. I've heard she's skilled, though.

Jess and Devlin eventually turn up, not long before we start, and immediately come over to stand with the rest of us. Beck, thankfully, shows up at the very last minute, just in time to start. David begins by telling everyone to pair up with someone, with Wendy and Wayne standing either side of him, before they demonstrate a few moves like Justin and Dean did last time. Slowly, everyone begins to do as they're told. Justin's already told me that we're going to be pairing up during both training and the attack, which Dean doesn't mind in the slightest as he's said the same about Amy. Obviously, Jess and Devlin pair up, and I can't help but smile at this outcome.