Free Maman

Claire's POV

The next few hours are a bit blurry. I can only remember snippets of pain- visions of torture. And the first thing I remember before going under this blurry dream, is a sweet voice calling out 'Maman'.

Everything is dark under my heavy lids, and if I were able to even form any type of thought, I would think that I was drugged. I feel fire swirling for release in my soul- but then it dies down. The fire is extinguished. After a while, I feel pain, like a blade coming down on my stomach, and my fire starts up again.

My senses are awakening to the pain, as the drugs are starting to wear off. I can think now, but all I can think of is the pain.

A cold wet cloth is placed over my pain, and I smell a warm Vanilla scent. My fire extinguishes yet again, and I'm feeling even more drained then I thought possible. A soft hand brushes my hair out of my face and whispers to me.

"I'm so sorry they are doing this to you."

I want to respond, I want to ask what they are doing- but someone calls to her, and the vanilla scent leaves.

I hear the door, announcing the arrival of people. I'm starting to have feeling in me, and I almost groan. But I stay quiet and still. Just like when I first met Atticus. If they are human, they won't be able to tell. If they are not- then atleast I will know.

"They started step one in the experiment and they've discovered that she reacts well. They haven't discovered her power yet, but we know that the drugs are wearing off. Once she wakes up, we can find out." The unknown male voice says. He adjusts the straps holding me down as I lay limp. He doesn't notice a difference in my breathing.

He injects my wrist with something else, as I feel the pinch of the needle. Retreating footsteps are heard as he explains what the toxin was.

"It should wake her up faster." He explains.

"How will we know when she is awake?" A squeaky female voice asks. She seems curious, and intrigued. Not at all repulsed by whatever this is. He takes a deep breath, and I can hear the grin in his voice as he replies.

"We'll hear her screams."

******

My mouth is open, and the icy pain is too much. I can't hear my screams, but it seems everyone else can. They surround me like demons thirsty for blood, and I can't stop them when they start to laugh. I feel my teardrops evaporating as my body tries to stop the icy liquid from spreading by overheating my body, but I can still feel the pain.

I notice a woman in the corner, looking at me in sadness, and she says something. One of the doctors turn around and looks as if he's repulsed by what she said. She glances at me and then scurries out, head down in shame.

After that, I blank out. White flashes of pain, cold like a winters storm inside of me. And that's bad, considering my flames should be able to stop this madness. Stop whatever that man injected in me. But my flames are useless, and I continue to scream and yelp in pain for hours.

Only time can stop this, and I know that if it never stops- it will be okay. Because at some point, I have to die, and I won't be in pain any longer. Time can only heal me, and time can only stop this.