Chapter 16

Janie's POV

I thought it would be really simple to tell him. I really did. I expected the words to just flow out of my mouth, and although I knew the strong feeling of regret would soon follow, I was prepared to take the leap. At least I thought I was. Turns out, telling someone you love that his Grandma attempted to kill his mate, is kind of a difficult thing.

The miserable day started with a morning of movies, which I loved. My favorite had to be something called Harry Potter? That's what I think Brendan told me. It doesn't matter however, because being thrown into the world of Harry made me want to see all six other movies. Telling this to Brendan, he said we could do it, but he really wasn't up to staring at a television for fourteen hours. With much disagreement, I nodded. After the credits of Bruce Almighty rolled, I was taken out to a delicious lunch.

Brendan ordered a sandwich, as I got the Mac and Cheese. A childish choice at a classy restaurant? Never. Throughout the entire meal, Brendan was sending me weird looks, and I knew what it was about. Ever since I woke up, I had avoided talking about "the issue" and that seemed to leave me in funky mood. After fighting over the check, he slipped a few bills into it, closing the argument, although I insisted I had money, and that it should be a girl's turn to pay every once in a while. My argument seemed to be deaf to his ears.

Him being the stubborn bull he was, refused. He didn't need to know that I slipped a ten for the tip. We went home, where we both promptly fell asleep for a few hours. I was waken up by a jolt, Brendan was rushing around, throwing clothes on the floor, clad in boxers, again. What is it and his tendency to not wear any clothing? Noticing someone was staring, or in my case, gawking, he stopped and shot a sly grin in my direction.

Disappearing into the closet, he yelled back to me, "get up, we're leaving in thirty." Thirty as in minutes? Way to be prepared Bren. Moving with as much urgency as him, I ran to the bathroom with a simple pair of clothes, and changed while running a brush through my tangled mane. With five minutes to spare, I hopped as I slipped my sandals on,  finally having a chance to ask where the heck we were going in such a rush.

"My mom's house," was all he gave me. I swear we were always there. I loved that he values his time spent with his family, leaving me wishing that I had something like that. As it turns out, it was the famous pizza night with the Courter's. I could tell from the cheesy smell that filled the whole house. Although I hadn't done much, my stomach was grumbling embarrassing loud, but, when was it not?

Arriving as we had done so many times before was nice, especially because the kitchen was full of chatter and laughter. I soon realized why pizza night was so treasured by Brendan, it was easily the best meal I had ever eaten, and not only was it all made from scratch, I decided what I wanted on it myself. Pizza was my favorite food when I was little, and it still was.

This gathering was smaller than the others, and with every bite of pizza I took, I could see Suzy sending me knowing glares, telling me that Brendan was not the only one that had noticed my off behavior. I gave her the same look back however, sensing that she hadn't spilled her secret either. Before I knew it, the clock struck twelve, and unlike Cinderella at a party, I was tucking myself into bed once again.

My guarded secret was still weighing heavily on my heart, and I felt the pressure of keeping something this big from my my mate, the one that was supposed to know everything. Speaking of the devil, he wrapped his arm around my waist, breathing lightly on my neck. I had grown used to him sleeping next to me, even though I just met him not long ago.

Staying where I was, I broke the wall that was holding me back, and I whispered my fear, that had become my reality a few weeks ago.