Chapter 39

**George’s POV**

Once we all finish laughing it’s not so awkward. Everyone is over the shock.

“I just get my daughter back and I find out I’m going to be a grandfather,” Sirius says, “I’m too young for all this.”

“You’re too young!” I cry, “I’m not even finished school!”

“At least you two don’t have to have a lump in your stomach,” Maddie puts in, “and cravings and morning sickness and back aches…”

“You brought this on yourself,” Fred says, “I told you it was a bad idea.”

“You knew?” I exclaim. He shrugs.

“Someone had to find somewhere for all the other boys-”

“Silencio,” Maddie mutters. Fred’s voice disappears. He starts mouthing at Maddie furiously.

“When are you due?” Remus asks.

“Umm…” Maddie scrunches her face up while she thinks, “late December, early January.”

“Can I see?” Ginny bursts out.

“See what?” Maddie asks.

“Your tummy!”

“Oh,” Maddie stands up and lifts her shirt. A little bump is poking out from between her hips.

“Aw!” Ginny squeals, “can I touch it?”

“Why?” Maddie asks.

“I want to feel it move.”

“You can’t feel it moving,” Maddie tells her, “in the next couple of weeks you will, but not yet.”

“So, you’re about…”

“Fourteen weeks, give or take,” Maddie says. She absentmindedly rubs her hand over her belly. I can’t contain myself any longer. I wrap one arm around her waist and rest my hand on her stomach.

“Well, we’ll have to start feeding you up!” Mum says, “you’re just skin and bones.”

Maddie lies her head on my shoulder.

“Maybe it’s time we gave the parents a moment,” Dad says, smiling, “come on you lot.”

Once they’ve all left Maddie turns around and wraps her arms around my neck.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” she says, blinking up at me, “I was terrified of how you’d react.”

“I can’t believe I didn’t notice,” I murmur, “is this why you’ve been keeping me literally at arm’s length?”

“Yeah,” she grimaces, “I’m sorry about that too.”

“Don’t apologise,” I reply, “I probably would have done a runner during the night and never shown my face again.”

“Well, at least the first Order meeting will be memorable,” Maddie jokes. I laugh and pull her close.

“Does it feel like something’s between us?”

Maddie shakes her head.

“You’ve been waiting to use that line, haven’t you?”

“Yes, I have,” I reply, grinning, “you know, I don’t know anything about pregnancy. You’re going to have to teach me.”