Chapter Forty One: A First For Everything

I hadn't realized how hard I was gripping the table until I could feel my fingernails indenting the wood.

I was so invested in Loretta's story, so drawn to the smiles and the frowns that she carried, that it didn't seem like I was even in my guest house, but following Sebastian around in his teenage years.

So when she suddenly stopped talking, I was pulled back into reality. And realized that my fingernails were indenting the wood.

But why had she suddenly stopped?

"What happened in Garrett's office?" I ask Loretta quietly after a moment's silence. She mimics my body language—taut, nervous, anxious and stiff. The only difference is, Loretta knows the next chapter in Sebastian's story. I do not.

She opens her mouth a bit, but my phone rings in place of her speech. We both jump at the same time at my ringtone.

"It's Sarah," I tell her. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. You should get it."

I smile kindly before answering.

"This is Leslie King."

"Great news," Sarah says foremost. "I know we vowed to take a break, but Remy Callaghan has just invited Sebastian to his charity ball in Atlanta on Friday—Leukemia awareness. It's not enough time to cover too much press, but I think that this could really help us out."

Remy Callaghan. A wealthy and esteemed businessman who happens to be a big shareholder in Harrison Incorporated's stocks. No wonder he invited Sebastian to his ball.

Or is there a reason to wonder?

"Do you have any idea why he invited Sebastian?"

"I don't know. Maybe Garrett asked him to, or maybe he saw the way Sebastian was with the kids at the hospital. The point is, we got a really good gig, and if things go well, we could have Remy-Freaking-Callaghan under our belt."

Sarah's right. Gaining Remy Callaghan's support for Sebastian in the very near future would be useful beyond current comprehension. But I just don't know if Sebastian is ready for this yet.

"You're skeptical," Sarah sighs. "Why?"

I lie. "I'm not skeptical. I just—"

"It's fine. I don't expect you to tell me since you and Sebastian have been very secretive lately."

My words become caught in my throat. "I-I...excuse me?"

"I see how you guys are together. I'm not mad or anything, but I'm just not surprised that you're refraining from—"

"No, no, that isn't it at all. Sebastian will be at the ball on Friday, and I'll put out a statement about it and reach out to a couple of outlets. Thank you, Sarah."

And then I hang up.

I look at the blank screen on my phone and replay Sarah's words in my head. She thinks we're being secretive? In truth, we are, and we have been since we were stranded out in the middle of nowhere for hours, but it's something more than that. Does Sebastian want Sarah involved in what we're doing?

"Maybe you should get to work on your statement thing. I wouldn't want to keep you."

I meet Loretta's eyes, which are more antsy than before. I don't oppose her method for wanting to take a break; this could motivate her to keep going later on.

So with that, I remove myself from the table and get to work.

**

The next day, Sebastian, Lucas, Sarah and I traveled into the city to get Sebastian measured for a tuxedo to wear to the charity ball. We managed to make it inside the tuxedo shop without any paparazzi scoping out, but I'm positive that in a couple of hours, we can expect some waiting outside with their cameras ready.