Monsters

Chapter 3: Struggles

I sprinted down the stairs to see my dad cooking. It was an unusual smell. Once I got closer, the more it smelled.

"Dad, are you cooking?" I asked as I approached him. I looked at whatever it was supposed to be and saw that it was black.

"Yes, and you should be grateful." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"I am very grateful," I said pausing. "For the burnt food."

"Real funny, Ave." He mocked. I smiled and grabbed my backpack.

"Alright, dad. I am going to school." I said walking away.

"Hey, what about your breakfast?" He said before I touched the front door.

"You can have it." I said in disgust. I pictured my dad devouring the burnt food. I walked outside and jumped in the truck. I realized that I had no idea where I was going. I jumped back out and ran inside the house.

"Hey, dad. I-" I was caught off by dad throwing a piece of paper at my head.

"You're welcome." He said with a smile. I dipped my head and ran back out to my truck. I placed the directions down and pulled out of the driveway.

-
I parked in a parking spot and noticed that people were staring.

'Guess they aren't used to having a new student.'

I jumped out in time to see Lizzie and Bella walking with an oddly pale boy.

"Bella, Lizzie, thank god. I have no idea where I am going." I said happily. I smiled big and walked towards them. The pale boy eyed my closely then glanced at Bella.

"Who is she?" He asked. I spoke up before Bella could.

"I am Avery Woodman." I started. He continued to eyeball me which made me uncomfortable.

"Come on, Avery." Lizzie said before pushing me forward. She stopped when she heard her name. She turned around and gasped.

"Jacob, what are you doing?" Lizzie snapped. I seemed shocked by the tone.

"Just thought I would come by and say happy birthday." He said. He looked back towards me causing me to smile awkwardly. He focused back onto Lizzie who was snapping fingers in his face.

"Well, go away. I will see you later." She said before walking away. Jacob smiled at her actions.

"Bye, Elizabeth." He shouted after her. Bella stayed back to talk to him. A hand wrapped around my arm and dragged me. I made a weird noise at the person.

"Come on, Avery. Let's go. I don't want to be around him." A feminine voice said. I smiled and started walking beside her.

"Whatever you say, Elizabeth." I said teasing her. She rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"Whatever, Avery." She said in return. She walked me to the main office and waited outside. I got my schedule and my locker combination. I stepped out to see Lizzie sitting on the floor.