43: Said Spontaneity

These days, it's all about spontaneity. A dream date would be one where you don't even know your special someone is taking you out. It lets you know that they care enough to go out of their way to please you.

So yes, I am fond of spontaneous events, but not this one in particular. "Where are you taking me?" I looked over at Carter, currently driving me to an undisclosed location in the wee hours of the morning.

"It's a surprise, for the last time." I groaned loudly in response. "You're supposed to say its romantic."

"And it is, but not when I'm running low on energy. I've been up since ten this morning and having to go to an interview on top of a night shift makes me believe that I deserve some sleep right now."

"Trust me when I say this will all be worth it."

Silencing my protests, I leaned my head against the window trying not to fall asleep. "I feel one yawn away from death."

"Now you're just being dramatic." He glanced at me before keeping his eyes trained on the road before us going from cityscape to landscape. "Just sit tight; we're almost there."

Pulling up to an abandoned building only heightened my confusion. "Not to be rude, but why the fucᴋ did you bring me here?" I said as I got out of the car, heading to the trunk where Carter was.

"So impatient. Just wait, damn." I could sense his irritation.

"I love it when you get angry. Makes you ten times sexier." Even in the darkness, I could see him smiling. It was small, but it was there.

 It was small, but it was there

~∞~

"Ask me anything?" He says as I made myself comfortable on his chest.

"Anything?" My voice was beginning to get more airy as time progressed. "What happened to your real dad?" I asked in a dream-like state. When I felt him tense up, I grabbed hold of his hand. "You don't have to tell me."

"But I want to," he said as he squeezed my hand reassuringly. "My mom and dad were never on the best of terms for a while. It was your typical, 'I'm stuck with you' relationship, except my dad was the one forcing my mom to stay. When Declan came, she knew she would be in his life regardless, and Lee and I just sealed the deal.

"After a while, my mom became sick of the charades and tried to leave. Obviously didn't work with my dad's forceful nature. I was 14 was when I realized how toxic the relationship was and just how much of a toll it had taken on my mom.

"Declan was already out of the house and Lee had just left for her first year of college. By then, I think Mom had enough. She promised me that we would be leaving for good this time." He stopped speaking all of a sudden before asking a question. "Remember when Dec came over that first time, the first time you met him?" I nodded. "Well, that was the day my dad was getting released.